General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY Crutchfield meets 2004 Radio!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Default DIY Crutchfield meets 2004 Radio!!!

I have read a bit on the failure of the factory radio. I do suffer from intermittent bouts of working and not working. The backlight has not worked in awhile, and now the radio shuts off when it wants to, with a CD player that is useless.

I ordered an aftermarket CD/FM player from Crutchfield, and being the novice I am have run into a bit of a mess.

I spent hours trying to hook this thing up.

Finally I get to a point where I think I am home-free and as I reconnect the battery I notice that the power to the new unit goes on, but there is NO SOUND!!!

Is this related to:

1. The fact that the original radio/components aren't working properly
2. I hooked it up incorrectly

I tried to fix it and noticed that when I reconnect the battery there is a "ding" sound that is constantly going.

The automatic locks don't seem to be working well either.

When I unplug the aftermarket radio (which still has NO SOUND) everything reverts back to normal and the windows and doors work.

help please!!! Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Then you have something wired wrong. Do you have some kind of adapter harness, where you don't have to mess with the factory wiring harness?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Then you have something wired wrong. Do you have some kind of adapter harness, where you don't have to mess with the factory wiring harness?

as a crutchfield customer, i know they always send everything you need to do an installation. harnesses to mounting hardware.

they also have very good customer service. thats another story though

in response to the actual post, it does sound like you wired something incorrectly.

make sure you have all the right colored wires hooked up to the same color.