General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Does transmission need to warm up?

Old 03-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Default Does transmission need to warm up?

My Accord sits parked all night on a downward sloping angle in my driveway. In the morning, I usually just start the car and go. I noticed that the trans doesn't shift smoothly into the next gear (I think it's second gear) until it revs the rpm's to almost 3500 rpm's. If I let the engine warm up for a few minutes or after a few minutes of driving, I noticed that this goes away. Also, when I leave work at the end of the day, I don't notice this problem. The car has been sitting on a level parking lot all day at that point.

Does the trans need time to thoroughly distribute the fluid? I assume because the car is parked on a slight downward facing slope and that it sits all night long, the trans fluid collects in one spot and "thickens" overnight.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Does transmission need to warm up?

you bet it does..! i love my gf's new car...its just so nice and new. and its a sentra so you know theres gonna be mad problems with it here in a few years. everytime i start it up i always let the motor warm up for 30 sec to a min and then i shift it into drive or reverse and just let it sit there for a little. it gets those parts and that fluid warmed up a little. if you love your car then i would recommend something doing 'something' like this

Old 03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Default RE: Does transmission need to warm up?

Absolutely I will make sure to do this from now on. I never thought to do this because my Accord ran so great compared to my old Civic. Now that I compare it to the new Odyssey, I'm more aware of things like this. The Accord is now also my daily commuter car. My wife used to be the primary driver of it. Now that I'm driving it, I'm paying attention to all the "quirks" about it...mostly to make sure I address any quirks before they become problems.

Also, I absolutely love my Accord. It's an amazing car! Actually, I love all my Hondas present and former (94 Civic, 98 Accord, 2005 Odyssey.) It's amazing how awesome the cars Honda makes are. The Civic and Accord have been relatively trouble free...sold the Civic recently after 12 years and 168k miles. The Accord will be driven till it has 200k and same with the Ody.

Thanks for the info.