General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's does transmission slipping mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Default What's does transmission slipping mean?

I'm just trying to figure out what exactly do people mean that their transmission is slipping? Sometimes when I'm on the highway going about 65 and try to speed up I hit the pedal and for a second or two the car wont speed up but then it starts normally. Is this a slipping transmission? There was a recall in April 2004 for my car's year, but my car was built in July 2004.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What's does transmission slipping mean?

Depends on the subtle difference between engine lag & tranny lag... and you don't say what kind of tranny you have.

If the engine doesn't increase it's power instantly when you hit the pedal, that isn't the tranny. I think(?) your engine has a motorized 'drive-by-wire' throttle. Either it's programmed that way because it's someone's idea of smoother operation, or something's wrong. Compare with other new-ish Honda V-6 engines.

If the engine DOES crank up (RPM increases) but the automatictranny doesn't transmit that power to the wheels, THAT is tranny slipping.

If you have a manual tranny & the engine revs without the car going, that's your clutch slipping.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 AM

In other words, if you see the RPM's go up and the car does not go any faster, that's a slipping trans. Doesn't sound like what you described in yours
My 91 Mustang used to sit there and rev up in drive or reverse when it was semi cold. Then it would all of a sudden catch and chirp the tires. Many times I would look like an *** at red lights haha. The trans fluid was leaking. That was right before I got my 2000 LX so i didn't really care. I just added more fluid every now and then. I left it with my dad to tinker with. He added some Lucas trans treatment and it doesn't leak or slip anymore. Too bad Honda trannys are not that easy to mend. Although I'm sure it didn't fix the problem in the Mustang. More like putting a band-aid on it. The trans pan gasket is probably leaking and the fluid is probably dirty. I never changed the fluid since I had it. I put around 80k on it too.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ LOL ..... kinda like the diaper fix the like to use on Pinks!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:55 PM

Ok, it's the drive by wire system. I do notice that I the RPMs dont go up either, but anyway, I don't like this system. But atleast know I know what it means to have slipping transmission. Thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: tcheema

Ok, it's the drive by wire system. I do notice that I the RPMs dont go up either, but anyway, I don't like this system. But atleast know I know what it means to have slipping transmission. Thanks
Well, compare with other Honda V-6 engines. That delay may not be normal (I don't know).