General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Doing a little body work

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Doing a little body work

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I couldn't really tell where a question like this would go.

Anyway, a couple years ago I was involved in a little fender bender that didn't bend my fender at all. Instead it got my hood and that bit of frame that holds the headlamp on. I've attached a few pictures of what I'm talking about. My question is: what would be the easiest way to bend this true again? Just wrench it out? I've never done any sort of body work before, only engine and related so this is a new area for me.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Doing a little body work-imag0030.jpg   Doing a little body work-imag0031.jpg   Doing a little body work-imag0032.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

That bent frame part is the radiator support. It is replaceable, but it is a bit more work than I realized, because it is spot welded and bolted to the frame.

Probably a bit of force using a hammer and a punch or chisel will help get it back to normal.

Just take a look at the latch, because straightening the radiator support may get the latch out of line with the hood. I cant tell how far back the hood was pushed (if at all) on the bottom part.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Luckily the hood was only bent a bit on the corner, as shown on the picture. The radiator support sounds annoying, but I'm headed up to pull a part on friday to get a new spedo board and fuel gauge (broke the fuel gauge trying to put it back together after trying to fix the spedo, whoops!), maybe I'll see if the 96 they have up there is still straight and just try to swap them out.

Thanks for the help!