General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door lock grinds??

Old 08-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Unregistered
Default Door lock grinds??

Alright... I've done a few searches before i posted and i haven't seen what I'm looking for yet.. 94 Accord EX... I've seen that the door lock actuator is a problem when the door is being locked... but when I unlock my car the Front Driver's door makes a grinding noise... only when I unlock.. It's fine when I lock it.. So would the diagnosis be the same?? If so is it fairly easy to Install this actuator?? I know it's a tight fit in the door [:-]...
Thanks

Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Default RE: Door lock grinds??

Diagnose's would be about the same, the biggest thing is to look for one of the rods or something catching, I'm suprised that it does it when it unlocks....Pop the door panel off and make sure that it's coming from the actuator itself and not from something else... As for replacement I have no idea on the difficulty level

Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

Thx for the help.. I did look around in there before taking the actuator out.. didn't see that anything ws caught.... i did always notice that when I put down pressure on the lock the motor didn't grind... so I took out the actuator and kept it hooked up to its power source... and what do you know... I unlocked and it was sitting there buzzing in my hand!! Felt kinda good actually.. lol j/k.. ..

But I took it apart and there are about 4 gears in there.. one metal and 3 plastic... the metal one is the motorized one and the others spin off that one... so there is a quarter cicle gear that goes moves the lock up and down... and the gear connected to that one just spins and spins and spins when I unlock it.. when I apply opposite force when I unlock it, it doesnt buzz and when I let go it goes crazy.... Now that that is diagnosed... time to get another one... JUNK YARD HERE I COME!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Put an actuator on it.