General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Sensor makes speaker not work

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Unhappy Door Sensor makes speaker not work

So I have a 95 Accord coupe that i bought form a guy that was in a wreck. It was hit in the rear passenger quarter panel. The damaged to the body has been fix but i noticed that the passenger side door speaker wasn't working and the dome light wouldn't come on when the door was open. Come to find out that the wire was broken, So I've repaired the wire and now the door sensor appears to work. And somehow that now makes the speaker work which is good but when you press the door sensor the speaker cuts out. I took the door panel off and when you press the sensor the speakers pops out so i took a multi meter to the speaker wires and im getting 8.3V when the door sensor is pressed. Anyone have any idea on how this circuit works ? The door sensor only has one wire so im confused how this would be related to the door speaker or why im getting voltage to the speaker wire.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

I would venture to guess there is an issue where the "bundle" of wires is going through the door jam.

The door switch is a simple "ground". When the door is open the switch allows a ground to the "door lights".

Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I would venture to guess there is an issue where the "bundle" of wires is going through the door jam.

The door switch is a simple "ground". When the door is open the switch allows a ground to the "door lights".

I followed the wire from the sensor from the right side of the door and it runs under the carpet and I seem to loose it behind the ASB control unit. So you seem to think it should run threw the door jam wire bundle ? Seems like that sensor wire should run to a relay, Even if it doesnt how did that wire make the door speaker start working and now gets 8.3V when the door sensor is pressed? I've been looking for a wiring diagram but havent had any luck, Know where I can find one ?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has links to online shop manuals. You can get the 94 accord shop manual that is identical to your 95.

The door sensor just an open/closed circuit to ground. The green/orange wire is closed to ground when the door/switch is open. The circuit it open to ground when the door is closed. There is no relay in this system.

Like Poorman said, the issues sounds like the speaker wire(s) and/or that sensor wire are damaged. Your speakers are the easiest path to ground when the door switch is open to ground. The most likely spot is where the wires run between the door and the A-pillar. That is where the wires can flex and possibly get damaged causing strange unrelated electrical issues.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

What Poorman212 and PAhonda stated are correct.

The Grn/Orn wire from the door switch splits off to Connector C417 (Gray 17P connector) at the driver's door jamb to supply the ground (-) for the driver's door courtesy light.

The driver's door speaker wires also run through Connector C417.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-connector-jpg

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-05-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added link for photo.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Well I would've never guessed that sensor ran threw the door but you might be on to something. After disconnecting the connector from the door and car there are two broken pins so ill be off to the junk yard here in a few days to pull a new door harness and hope it fixes it.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like one of the speaker wires is disconnected/broken and somehow the speaker is getting a "ground" signal when the door is open.

The speakers are not intended to rely on any kind of ground connections, so that's why I think one of the actual speaker wires is broken somewhere.