General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door wont open from inside or out

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Default door wont open from inside or out

Hello, new here and hoping to find some knowledge before i pull out to sawzall and go to town on this door here's the story...

My mother in law has a 1999 honda accord LE 4 door. The other day she went and locked (has power locks however no remote to engage the locks, unlocks doors with key) her car as normal. Came back and the door would not unlock.

However, the door lock **** to manually lock that door would move up and down. I pulled off the passenger side door to see how everything works and where the bars that control the latch that run to the handles and locks. I was able to get my arm into the hole after pulling out the switch bar for the locks and windows and was actually able to grab the bars for the handles and work them and they did not open the door. This tells me it is the lock or latch.

The lock bar is too buried for me to grab and the latch, if broken is obviously buried with the door closed!!! Has anyone dealt with this before??? Please any info is appreciated and believe me to get my car back from the in law as soon as possible the better. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by PAhonda; 05-24-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

You may have to pull the door panel on the driver's side to see if the bar somehow became detached.

The lock/latch assembly is more likely. I know on the 90-93 accords, you could drill a hole on the A-pillar. Then insert a long screwdriver to manually release the lock.

This has happened on newer accords like yours. I'll have to do a search to see if there are any threads with pics that may apply to your car.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 PM

thank you for any info any even more on pics. how do i get the panel off the drivers door with the door shot without just cutting it off??

Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Default Door won't open from inside or out

Ahh, finally found this thread with a problem similar to this 91 Accord 4 door sedan i'm working on. Just can't get the driver's door open at all ...
I've managed to loosen the rear part of the door panel and feel around inside, all of the rigid rods are still connected and seem to have the proper range of motion. I cannot quite reach the bottoms of the rods from the outside & inside door handles, but am sure that both are connected.
Having read many forums threads that dance around somewhat similar problems, i'm convinced that the driver's door actuator must be replaced, but it's going to be necessary to get the door open to get the door panel off and R & R the door latch.
I'm quite intrigued by PAhonda's post in this thread "I know on the 90-93 accords, you could drill a hole on the A-pillar. Then insert a long screwdriver to manually release the lock". Please elaborate, drill where? Then do what? I have probed and pushed all over the door latch with screwdrivers without success in tripping the latch from inside the door. Your assistance will be much appreciated!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tallguy
Ahh, finally found this thread with a problem similar to this 91 Accord 4 door sedan i'm working on. Just can't get the driver's door open at all ...
I've managed to loosen the rear part of the door panel and feel around inside, all of the rigid rods are still connected and seem to have the proper range of motion. I cannot quite reach the bottoms of the rods from the outside & inside door handles, but am sure that both are connected.
Having read many forums threads that dance around somewhat similar problems, i'm convinced that the driver's door actuator must be replaced, but it's going to be necessary to get the door open to get the door panel off and R & R the door latch.
I'm quite intrigued by PAhonda's post in this thread "I know on the 90-93 accords, you could drill a hole on the A-pillar. Then insert a long screwdriver to manually release the lock". Please elaborate, drill where? Then do what? I have probed and pushed all over the door latch with screwdrivers without success in tripping the latch from inside the door. Your assistance will be much appreciated!
See link:
Door Latch Accord Won't Open Fix Solution

You may want to search for other videos, etc. on the net as someone may have discovered another way by now.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Default door wont open from inside or out

Thank you redbull-1, The link was interesting, however i've been unsuccessful so far in tripping the driver's door latch, apparently not lined up well enough ... i'm still looking for a way to locate the right spot to drill, having drilled in the wrong spot already i'm reluctant to just keep drilling without better info, as this is a friend's car.