General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drain gas tank youtube method ('92 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:26 AM

Seems when I follow the line on the left side of my picture it leads to the passenger side of the fuel rail. The line on the right side of my picture seems to lead down and back away from the engine compartment. The line connected to my driver side of the fuel rail connects to the pressure regulator I guess it is, and comes from back down away from the engine compartment. I guess I'm just not clear on what line I'll be needing to disconnect/detach for the procedure, and then how to connect my tubing (which will feed to my gas can) to either the line or the line fitting/connection.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:08 PM

For further clarity to explain my uncertainty and to follow up on my inquiry, the following photos of the fuel rail line connections might help. The first photo is the connection on the driver side: the second on the passenger side. Which do I detach and then where would I try to attach my tubing to my gas can for the procedure? Thanks

Old 02-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

The easiest place to disconnect is that hose coming off the fuel pressure regulator in the first picture. Or somewhere downstream towards the gas tank from the first picture.

I think it will be difficult to find a way to connect to the eyelet in the 2nd picture without getting fuel everywhere.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:10 PM

Thanks, so I went ahead and disconnected that hose coming off the fuel pressure regulator and connected my own tube to its nipple and running down to my gas tank. With the relay jumped and with the key turned to the on position gas did indeed flow steadily out through my tube to the can. But, very slowly, just sort of a weak slow trickle instead of flowing full and strongly. Unless I could do something different or additional it would take a very long long time to finally drain my 3/4 tank of gas this way, plus probably the battery would discharge all the way beforehand. Any suggestions on why such a slow trickle and what I might do to increase and speed up the flow?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:48 AM

Actually it turns out even though the flow isn't as fast as I'd like, I found if I stay patient and just let it pump out at the rate it steadily pumps out, it doesn't take all that long to fill up a 5 gal gas can a few times. It works pretty good. Kinda fun sitting there watching the gas gauge needle on the dash go down while the gas pumps out into my can(s). But not so much fun I'd want to do it very often. Thanks again for replies.

Last edited by sgull; 02-06-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sad to see the 4th gen going to the big grave yard in the sky......can I ask what did it in?

Was always a pleasure help you in the past......hope thing as going well for you and the family.....poorman.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:03 PM

can I ask what did it in?
I'm assuming some major internal engine damage, caused by driving with low oil pressure. The oil light started intermittently going on, sometimes staying on for a while, sometimes disappearing altogether, just recently in the span of a week or so. First time the light went on I checked the oil; level was good and appearance was fine. I hoped all it was was a malfunctioning light or oil sensor; planned on having the shop check it out soon as I had a chance. Drive back and forth to work a quarter mile or so each way each day. No unusual engine noise or running problems. The last trip home the oil light came on, the engine suddenly died, just abruptly quit like I've never experienced with the car, and I had just enough last rolling momentum to coast the car into my driveway. I could sense death. I tried starting the car, just to see what might happen. It just made a horrible screeching/grinding type sound, not even beginning to turn over. I can't afford and don't have the time to replace the engine or do any major engine work. I'm curious what exactly is broke inside , but don't really care if I never find out. All I know is it's something bad enough to call the car dead and I'm not gonna try to bring it back to life.

Poorman it was indeed a pleasure to have you help me in the past on the ol' 4th gen. Other than this mechanical misfortune or whatever we could call it (and I've already had sufficient grieving time) things are going well for me and the family and I hope the same for you.

Last edited by sgull; 02-06-2018 at 10:11 PM.