stall upon acceleration only on initial 1-2 min startup - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Go Back  Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Reload this Page >

stall upon acceleration only on initial 1-2 min startup

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stall upon acceleration only on initial 1-2 min startup

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
Default stall upon acceleration only on initial 1-2 min startup

symptom: enigne stall when throttle opened only for 1-2 minutes after startup.

1. idle is fine, recent manifold & throttle body cleaned, egr ports cleaned. no known damaged vacuum hoses or gaskets.

2. if i do not touch the accelerator pedal after start for 5-7 minutes, the condition does not happen!

3. tested tps: .48dc closed, 4.25dc wot

4 have not tested map, dont' know how.

5. this condition will happen wether its the first or 10th start of the day. always 1-2 min. just after starting, but then ceases to happen for as long as the engine remains running.

6. inspected main relay guts. no burnt, no poor solder joints.

7. exactly the symptom: start engine, 5 sec. later press accel. pedal and attempt to raise rpm to 2500, needle will rise to 2500 for approx. 2 sec. then fall out without releasing pedal. I then release accel pedal and try again until rpm remain constant and react with pedal.

8. no O2 sensor trouble codes

NOTE: I can normally increase the rpm above 3000 during condition, but do not wish to.

NOTE: Fuel Tank is leaking, I have not tested fuel pressure and don't know how.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: california
Posts: 165
Default

first i suggest you fix the leak in the tank!if its a small leak like the size of a dime JB weld will do the trick but try to put like a screen over the hole and ad JB weld little at a time to cover the hole.
there could be many reasons why it stalls but try these suggestions an see what comes of it.
Idle speed incorrect...try and adjust the idle screw.

fuel filter clogged and or water impurities in the fuel system?

Distributor components damp or damaged?

faulty spark plug wires?

vacuum leak in the fuel injection system?

valve clearances incorrectly set?
check the list an see what you find?
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
Default

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93 View Post
first i suggest you fix the leak in the tank!if its a small leak like the size of a dime JB weld will do the trick but try to put like a screen over the hole and ad JB weld little at a time to cover the hole.
there could be many reasons why it stalls but try these suggestions an see what comes of it.
Idle speed incorrect...try and adjust the idle screw.

fuel filter clogged and or water impurities in the fuel system?

Distributor components damp or damaged?

faulty spark plug wires?

vacuum leak in the fuel injection system?

valve clearances incorrectly set?
check the list an see what you find?
I'd like to get to the leak in the tank quickly, but theres quite a bit of work involved. How would i go about checking vacuum leak in the fuel injection? the plugs and wires are fresh, but i'll check resistance on the wires and do a visual on the plugs. the strange thing is, the car runs perfect after idling for 3 minutes, then driving. No problems at all, as long as the engine remains running. Shut the car off for a matter of an hour and condition returns.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: california
Posts: 165
Default

if you know where and can see where the leak is then you need to empty the tank so as to it will not leak.
if you cant see the leak and you know its coming from the tank then you need to drop the tank and have it repaired,and yes there is work involved in dropping the tank.
fix the tank 1st.then tackle the other issues
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
Default

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93 View Post
if you know where and can see where the leak is then you need to empty the tank so as to it will not leak.
if you cant see the leak and you know its coming from the tank then you need to drop the tank and have it repaired,and yes there is work involved in dropping the tank.
fix the tank 1st.then tackle the other issues
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes once i finish, still have to replace brake and fuel lines as well, so it'll be awhile.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
Default

Originally Posted by 99accord335000 View Post
symptom: enigne stall when throttle opened only for 1-2 minutes after startup.

1. idle is fine, recent manifold & throttle body cleaned, egr ports cleaned. no known damaged vacuum hoses or gaskets.

2. if i do not touch the accelerator pedal after start for 5-7 minutes, the condition does not happen!

3. tested tps: .48dc closed, 4.25dc wot

4 have not tested map, dont' know how.

5. this condition will happen wether its the first or 10th start of the day. always 1-2 min. just after starting, but then ceases to happen for as long as the engine remains running.

6. inspected main relay guts. no burnt, no poor solder joints.

7. exactly the symptom: start engine, 5 sec. later press accel. pedal and attempt to raise rpm to 2500, needle will rise to 2500 for approx. 2 sec. then fall out without releasing pedal. I then release accel pedal and try again until rpm remain constant and react with pedal.

8. no O2 sensor trouble codes

NOTE: I can normally increase the rpm above 3000 during condition, but do not wish to.

NOTE: Fuel Tank is leaking, I have not tested fuel pressure and don't know how.
ok,it's been 6 years, time to post resolution. It was the upstream o2.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
c0r3f1ght3r
Engine & Internal
1
12-27-2010 07:08 AM
ariff
General Tech Help
9
03-04-2010 09:56 PM
Mr_Accord
Engine & Internal
5
01-28-2010 09:40 PM
cooper4x4
General Tech Help
5
06-10-2008 10:49 PM
mb21
General Tech Help
5
04-09-2008 10:32 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising