General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stall upon acceleration only on initial 1-2 min startup

Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default stall upon acceleration only on initial 1-2 min startup

symptom: enigne stall when throttle opened only for 1-2 minutes after startup.

1. idle is fine, recent manifold & throttle body cleaned, egr ports cleaned. no known damaged vacuum hoses or gaskets.

2. if i do not touch the accelerator pedal after start for 5-7 minutes, the condition does not happen!

3. tested tps: .48dc closed, 4.25dc wot

4 have not tested map, dont' know how.

5. this condition will happen wether its the first or 10th start of the day. always 1-2 min. just after starting, but then ceases to happen for as long as the engine remains running.

6. inspected main relay guts. no burnt, no poor solder joints.

7. exactly the symptom: start engine, 5 sec. later press accel. pedal and attempt to raise rpm to 2500, needle will rise to 2500 for approx. 2 sec. then fall out without releasing pedal. I then release accel pedal and try again until rpm remain constant and react with pedal.

8. no O2 sensor trouble codes

NOTE: I can normally increase the rpm above 3000 during condition, but do not wish to.

NOTE: Fuel Tank is leaking, I have not tested fuel pressure and don't know how.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM

first i suggest you fix the leak in the tank!if its a small leak like the size of a dime JB weld will do the trick but try to put like a screen over the hole and ad JB weld little at a time to cover the hole.
there could be many reasons why it stalls but try these suggestions an see what comes of it.
Idle speed incorrect...try and adjust the idle screw.

fuel filter clogged and or water impurities in the fuel system?

Distributor components damp or damaged?

faulty spark plug wires?

vacuum leak in the fuel injection system?

valve clearances incorrectly set?
check the list an see what you find?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93
first i suggest you fix the leak in the tank!if its a small leak like the size of a dime JB weld will do the trick but try to put like a screen over the hole and ad JB weld little at a time to cover the hole.
there could be many reasons why it stalls but try these suggestions an see what comes of it.
Idle speed incorrect...try and adjust the idle screw.

fuel filter clogged and or water impurities in the fuel system?

Distributor components damp or damaged?

faulty spark plug wires?

vacuum leak in the fuel injection system?

valve clearances incorrectly set?
check the list an see what you find?
I'd like to get to the leak in the tank quickly, but theres quite a bit of work involved. How would i go about checking vacuum leak in the fuel injection? the plugs and wires are fresh, but i'll check resistance on the wires and do a visual on the plugs. the strange thing is, the car runs perfect after idling for 3 minutes, then driving. No problems at all, as long as the engine remains running. Shut the car off for a matter of an hour and condition returns.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 AM

if you know where and can see where the leak is then you need to empty the tank so as to it will not leak.
if you cant see the leak and you know its coming from the tank then you need to drop the tank and have it repaired,and yes there is work involved in dropping the tank.
fix the tank 1st.then tackle the other issues

Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93
if you know where and can see where the leak is then you need to empty the tank so as to it will not leak.
if you cant see the leak and you know its coming from the tank then you need to drop the tank and have it repaired,and yes there is work involved in dropping the tank.
fix the tank 1st.then tackle the other issues
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes once i finish, still have to replace brake and fuel lines as well, so it'll be awhile.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by 99accord335000
symptom: enigne stall when throttle opened only for 1-2 minutes after startup.

1. idle is fine, recent manifold & throttle body cleaned, egr ports cleaned. no known damaged vacuum hoses or gaskets.

2. if i do not touch the accelerator pedal after start for 5-7 minutes, the condition does not happen!

3. tested tps: .48dc closed, 4.25dc wot

4 have not tested map, dont' know how.

5. this condition will happen wether its the first or 10th start of the day. always 1-2 min. just after starting, but then ceases to happen for as long as the engine remains running.

6. inspected main relay guts. no burnt, no poor solder joints.

7. exactly the symptom: start engine, 5 sec. later press accel. pedal and attempt to raise rpm to 2500, needle will rise to 2500 for approx. 2 sec. then fall out without releasing pedal. I then release accel pedal and try again until rpm remain constant and react with pedal.

8. no O2 sensor trouble codes

NOTE: I can normally increase the rpm above 3000 during condition, but do not wish to.

NOTE: Fuel Tank is leaking, I have not tested fuel pressure and don't know how.
ok,it's been 6 years, time to post resolution. It was the upstream o2.