General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Question Draining battery

Hi, I have a 95 Honda Accord 2.2 non vtec. It has appox 177k miles on it but has been very well kept. Never had any big problems with it, have kept up the maintenance on it and all.
Well my problem is, recently my "SRS" light came on, I'm aware that it has something to do with my air bags. But once the SRS light came on I noticed that I would park my car, turn it off and it would not crank back up. I can only start the car with jumped cables. I can run it all day long, drive on the interstate and try to let the alternator charge it up but once I park it and turn it off it is as if something instantly drains the battery and I cannot crank it back up again.
Not sure if it has anything to do with the SRS light or if it is just a coincidence. I took the car to Autozone and had the battery tested and it read under 12 volts while it was off.
I have never had a battery problem before. The battery in the car is actually just over 10months old.
Can someone help me troubleshoot this please? I'm currently disabled due to an injury and cannot move around a lot so any help into figuring this out would be very much appreciated!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Also I have disconnected any aftermarket accessories that I had installed on there and it's still doing it. And other than tint and lowering springs the car is stock, nothing done to the motor, battery terminals are clean.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Have a volt meter?

Sounds like you have a battery, alt or starter issue. Using a volt meter on the battery when the car is running you should see something in the 14.5 v range. When the car is off, for about an hour, you should see something in the 12.5 v range? They, autozone, read under 12v, that is bad

When it won't start, check the big cable to the starter when trying to start....should be ~12 v. Also check the small wire while trying to start, again should be around 12 v. A hot electrical motor trying to run (the starter) might require more amp's to run.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Hey poorman212 thanks so much for the reply! I'm going to try tomorrow if I can get a buddy with me and have him test the volts for me in all the locations you called out. I will repost afterwards!