General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver's seat track stop removal? 5th generation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Default Driver's seat track stop removal? 5th generation

My son is tall and even with the seat all the way back he could use a little more room. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the driver's seat stop in order to allow the seat to slide back another inch or two?

It has a manual seat adjustment, not electric.

thank you in advance

Last edited by 75Gremlin; 03-22-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

I just saw your new post; came back to this one & see that nobody answered it yet...

I'm only 6' and haven't done this, so take it with a grain of salt. If you remove the stops, then the seat would just fall out of the rear of the tracks and cause more problems than you want.

I think you'll have an easier time if you remove the seat together with tracks, from the floor mounting. Look for a way to bolt the tracks back down into a new position an inch or so towards the rear. You may have to fabricate some brackets or something like that.

Having said that, you also have to be aware of what that will do for the seatbelt position, etc. Also make the brackets strong because they will play into preventing injury in a crash.

Attached Thumbnails Driver's seat track stop removal? 5th generation-1997-seat-tracks.gif  
Old 03-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I just saw your new post; came back to this one & see that nobody answered it yet...

I'm only 6' and haven't done this, so take it with a grain of salt. If you remove the stops, then the seat would just fall out of the rear of the tracks and cause more problems than you want.

I think you'll have an easier time if you remove the seat together with tracks, from the floor mounting. Look for a way to bolt the tracks back down into a new position an inch or so towards the rear. You may have to fabricate some brackets or something like that.

Having said that, you also have to be aware of what that will do for the seatbelt position, etc. Also make the brackets strong because they will play into preventing injury in a crash.
Yeah, I have to agree with Jim on this. I think you'll have to either relocate the seat to floor mounts (move them back an inch or so), or move the seat mounting brackets on the track back an inch or so. My son has a pair of Civics, and his 6'3" body fits in them just fine, although the seat is at or close to the limit. I have to move it forward to get my short legs to get the clutch to work.