General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DRL wont work!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Exclamation DRL wont work!! Help!!

I just bought a 2001 accord EX 4cyl. and the daytime running lights wont turn on at all even the tail lights that are supposed to be on all the time don't turn on unless i press the break. i checked all fuses and they're all fine. i cannot drive at night (legally) without them.
Please help me!!

here's a picture of the lights that wont turn on

Attached Thumbnails DRL wont work!! Help!!-p_honda_accord_01-02_oem_headlight_right.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

U.S. model 2001 Accords don't have daytime running lights (DRL).

Those are the parking lights. Did you check the bulbs?

Attached Thumbnails DRL wont work!! Help!!-parking-lights.jpg   DRL wont work!! Help!!-headlight-switch.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM

good to know. but the tail lights still wont turn on and yes i checked the bulbs i even tried changing them with some new bulbs i had laying around

Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Those amber lights in the front headlamp cluster, & the parking lights in the rear; do they turn on with the headlight switch? In the first (parking-light) position?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Your car has two interior fuse boxes (driver's side and passenger side). Check/recheck the passenger side number 10 fuse (10A fuse for sedan or 15A for coupe).

For the EX model, you have a taillight relay in the circuit. The taillight relay is located behind the passenger side kick panel.

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter, with the combination light switch turned on for the parking lights, there should be power at the red/yellow wire (normally a wire with red insulation and yellow stripe) at the taillight relay. If there is no power at the red/yellow wire at the taillight relay, the problem may be further upstream at the combination light switch or the driver's multiplex control unit (as the taillight relay control are part of the driver's mcu). You can then test for power at the red/yellow wire at the combination light switch to try to rule out the light switch being the problem.

Again with the combination light switch turned on, if there is power at the red/yellow wire at the taillight relay, then test for power at the red/blk wire (normally a
wire with red insulation and black stripe) coming from the taillight relay. If there is no power at the red/blk wire at the taillight relay, then it may be a faulty relay. Relays can also be tested separately.

Attached Thumbnails DRL wont work!! Help!!-6th-gen-accord-relays.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-07-2013 at 09:50 PM.