General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECA reset after battery disconnect.. fact or fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Default ECA reset after battery disconnect.. fact or fiction?

I just installed a Grom iPod adapter in my 05 Accord sedan. Neat little device.. it's not perfect, but that's for a separate thread..

Before purchasing it I did some research online to see what the install experience for others was with Accords, and I came across a post somewhere (I believe it was this forum) where they were adamant you needed to do the "ECU reset procedure" after performing any mod that disconnects the battery. I can't recall the specifics, but it involved some magic turning of the ignition key, letting the car idle for some period of time and then holding the engine at 3000RPM for some period of time.

I thought this was all nonsense, it seemed to me like the computer would re-train itself automatically. But now my Accord does seem to be idling slightly rougher than it did before, and today it hesitated at a stop light--which was a new experience for me in this car. (I did the install yesterday).. So I went looking for the article again but couldn't find it.

Anyways, is this ECA reset thing nonsense or is this a for-real thing I need to do? If so, what's the exact procedure?

Thanks!!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

It's not nonsense, but it should re-train itself automatically. Resetting just forces the re-learning faster. Beginning in 2003 that stuff is different than before. I still have a 2003-2006 Helm book so I'll have to remember to look at that cause I don't remember the details.