General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU bad. Now can I buy the Ignition Switch With Key and ecu

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Default ECU bad. Now can I buy the Ignition Switch With Key and ecu

Can I buy these part used, ignition switch with key, and matching ecu, and skip having to tow my car to the dealership for a re-flash after installation?

I figure If I just buy a used ecu off eBay, then I can return the ecu if its not good, but I will still be out money for the re-flash.

If I can buy it this way, and not have to get a re-flash I can just send the whole thing back if its bad, and just be out shipping.

What do you think, and I will repeat. Can I buy the ignition switch with matching key, and matching ecu, and skip having the dealership do a reflash?

See Ebay Item Number 181948209106

Last edited by PAhonda; 12-01-2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: No live links to other sites
Old 12-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Removed the active link in your post. Against the rules on the forum.

My guess is the ebay item would not need to be programmed.

I'm not sure what the dealer charges to reflash, but there is a way on Accords to drive your vehicle to the dealership if you replace the ECU and it is not programmed. You'd have to call for details, but it is some kind of pattern you press on the brake pedal.

This may be an easier and cheaper option if you found an ECU nearby.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

What year/trim Accord? Add to your signature to avoid this problem.

good luck

Old 12-02-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
What year/trim Accord? Add to your signature to avoid this problem.

good luck
Why would that really make a difference in this question as far as I know all ecu's have to be reflashed when they have been swapped into another car.

FTR its not an Accord, but an 04 Civic LX auto.

Last edited by M-train; 12-02-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Removed the active link in your post. Against the rules on the forum.

My guess is the ebay item would not need to be programmed.

I'm not sure what the dealer charges to reflash, but there is a way on Accords to drive your vehicle to the dealership if you replace the ECU and it is not programmed. You'd have to call for details, but it is some kind of pattern you press on the brake pedal.

This may be an easier and cheaper option if you found an ECU nearby.
Ok thanks. Let me ask you this. Is having the re-flash done in this issue so that the new ecu will read the old key, or is it required for other issue dealing with swapping the ecu?

If so then there might be another way that I have read about, and that is to have a locksmith come over, and make a new key to work with the new ecu, that is IF that is all the reflash does.

Also, I called the only Honda dealer in town, and got a quote of $95 for a reflash.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by M-train
Why would that really make a difference in this question as far as I know all ecu's have to be reflashed when they have been swapped into another car.
That couldn't be any further from the truth.

Why would you ask for help with a vehicle and expect to get help without the courtesy of you atleast providing the vehicle information ?

Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
That couldn't be any further from the truth.

Why would you ask for help with a vehicle and expect to get help without the courtesy of you atleast providing the vehicle information ?
Did you read my original question? Since were in a Honda forum then it would be safe to assume my question is pertaining to a Honda.

If we were talking about a problem with the engine not running, or maybe dealing with a specific code/codes then I would say you're right. Some problems are going to be vehicle specific as in some Honda's there are different engines, and transmissions as well as options not found in other models.

In this case since were talking Honda's, and the question was more of a general question pertaining to Honda's{the link did have the vehicles that the ecu fit]

If the ecu with the steering column ign will work without having to have a reflash then its safe to assume that most all Honda's will be this way [with the exception of an oddball like a hybrid] as most car manufacturers usually stick to a given plan.

PAhonda answered the question without any drama, and I thank him for that.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I looked back at one of your old posts to get your vehicle information. Having the year/make/model in your signature helps us determine if your vehicle has an immobilizer, etc. It is also easier on us to have your vehicle information on every post vs scrolling back to the very first post when reading a thread.

Here is my opinion on the reflash vs programming a new key, because I might be wrong. Reflashing the PCM is like installing the newest version of the operating system. Programming the key would just tell the PCM that your new keys are valid keys. I'd ask the dealership if that is the case.

As for the locksmith, you would have to ask if the locksmith can program a replacement PCM to accept a your original key. A lot of the PCM programming stuff is proprietary and typically a dealership only service.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I looked back at one of your old posts to get your vehicle information. Having the year/make/model in your signature helps us determine if your vehicle has an immobilizer, etc. It is also easier on us to have your vehicle information on every post vs scrolling back to the very first post when reading a thread.

Here is my opinion on the reflash vs programming a new key, because I might be wrong. Reflashing the PCM is like installing the newest version of the operating system. Programming the key would just tell the PCM that your new keys are valid keys. I'd ask the dealership if that is the case.

As for the locksmith, you would have to ask if the locksmith can program a replacement PCM to accept a your original key. A lot of the PCM programming stuff is proprietary and typically a dealership only service.
Thanks again PA. Unfortunately the only dealership within miles is the one I spoke with yesterday.

They don't have the best reputation. The service guy I spoke with kinda hinted STRONGLY that I buy a new computer from them.

I will try to do some more research on the PCM, and call some locksmiths around the area today.