General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Grounding Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question ECU Grounding Problem?

I posted a thread about the ringer my 94 Accord has put me through the past week, but it started so broadly and got really convoluted because of the previous owner's attempts to "fix" it. So, here's a more focused attempt at finally fixing this problem.

The main relay coil that controls the fuel pump is not engaging (6v coil) when the switch is ON. The other (12v) relay engages with no problems. When I jump the 6v relay coil to ground, it engages and the fuel pump turns on. I've traced the problem to the ECU, I believe. When disconnecting connector A from the ECU, I get 12v from A7 to ground, so it seems I'm good up until this point. I checked each connector (switch off and all ECU plugs disconnected) to see which pins had continuity to ground. Here are the ones that have ground continuity: A13, A23, A24, A26, B2, B8, C2 (or D2? idk.)

Inside the ECU, I quickly noticed capacitors C41 and C44. C44 appears to have leaked or burned and melted a small bit of the green PCB coating. C41 looks a little burned at the solder pad, but doesn't appear that the capacitor itself is damaged. I replaced C44 but I don't have the other style capacitor to replace C41 - looks like it should still be good though. Picture below.

Am I looking in the right place or is this something not related (as far as the ECU's function) to the grounding circuit for the Main Fuel Pump Relay (A7)?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

You are looking in the right place at the capacitors on the ECU board. If the traces didn't get damaged, you may be able to fix it by replacing all the suspect capacitors.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I replaced the electrolytic capacitor but I don't have one to replace the blue one. Not working with the one replaced so I had to jump my main relay coil to ground until I can get a new ecu. It worked well enough today aside from this evening. It would start then die a second or two later, sometimes sputtering and turning over once or twice every second or so a few times before dying. I eventually got it to run and drove home, but I don't want to rely on it for too long.