General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EGR system problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default EGR system problems

I have a 95 honda accord 2.2 vtec 150k miles i recently got a dash code for egr lift sensor. I replaced the egr valve, egr control silinoid, and egr lift sensor. It ran great for a while now it back to the rough idle when i stop and loss of power. I disconected the control silinoid from the egr valve and the rough idle went away. Idk if it blew another lift sensor or what it didnt throw me another code but its acting the same way. Sometimes it idles fine and sometimes it go back to running like crap. Its not consisdent. The egr valve was brank new but the control silinoid and lift sensor were junkyard off a car with 60k miles so it should be good i would assume but i would appriate some imput and hopefully some help. Also if anyone has a hose diagram it might be useful, maby i mixed the hoses up. I cant find anything in my shop manual

Last edited by jroxz44; 04-04-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

What code (Pnnnn) was found? Sometimes problem is w/ EGR manifold rather than EGR valve solenoid. Manifold needs to be removed and cleaned. Too much EG into one cylinder can cause missing under load.

Easy to test whether solenoid is working. Look for vacuum w/ engine at 2000 rpm and fully warmed.

There should be a vacuum hose diagram under the hood.

good luck

Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My check engine tester dont plug in to it so i flashed it and got a 12code. Ive been informed that i may need to pull the fuel rail and clean the egr ports behind the injectors. But the whole process makes me nervous that a bigger project then ive ever attempted. There looks like alot that need to come off to get to them especially the injectors scare me

Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Relatively easy job. New orings on injector/fuel rail are necessary as old ones may be brittle. Injector/manifold seals can be reused.

Check DIY forum for guidance. If you can't find anything, PM your email address and I''ll send a pdf file I have.

good luck

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I think i can handle the job but im not 100 % sure thats the problem. I dont know alot of ibformation about the egr system for this is my first honda. Sometimes the idleing will drop really low when i stop at a light or stop sign. Also my gas milage is really bad compaited to what it used to be. And im definatly loseing power. Ive tried everthing to try anf fix it. Ive replaced the whole egr system replaced all the belts,new tranny fluid/oil andbalso new plugs and wires. Ive spent alot of money trying to fix this problem. What wete your symptoms before u cleaned your ports?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM

I had a sag on acceleration from a rolling start. At about 2000 rpm, the engine would hit a flat spot and refuse to accelerate.

Low idle is usually dirty throttle plate, throttle bore, and idle air control valve.

good luck