General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

electrical problem with intrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Eah that would be nice if you could look to see if yours is like that that would be a great start. My room mate has a 90 cb7 and when I get a chance I wanna pull his cluster and plug it into my car and see what happens. Hopefuly that's all it is. I'm familiar with circuit cards I work on them at work. But if it's burn like that and the "tracks" don't have continuity then it's done. Gunna see if I can just get a mother board from the junk yard and put that on my cluster.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That solder joints have been reflowed so it's had problems in the past. X2 on a junkyard PCB.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The most useful thing ive found so far is a Chiltons book. If i were you i would pick one up from your local auto parts store. and judging from your pictures it looks to me that something in the cluster has fried at some point in time. I agree with the last post i would go to a you pull it, and get another gage cluster. I cant say this is going to be much help but deffinetly pick up a chiltons book if you haven't already.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So I went to the junk yard and got a cluster opened the back and made sure the motherboard wasn't burnt. Came home and put it in and still nothing works. Te battery light came on and I had the jumper in the obd port and the check engine light was on while it was running and then I turned it off and it didn't come back on the battery must be discharged. Leading me to believe the alternator isn't charging it. Startin to get frustrated.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok so I went to the junk yard and found four clusters one wasn't same plugs didn't have maintenxe light. And it was the the fifth one I found that finally had a cleanish motherboard for it that was not completely burnt up it just had a tiny amount of black. It also was the one with 400 something miles on it. But came home put it in and a light came on can't remember which one. And it didn't start. Jumped it and still no start. So I checked the fuses and replaces the gauge one and the starting one and the lights came on the dash ad the Rpm worked but none of the lights were right. So I put my old cluster in and everything works fine rpm and turn singal lights. All is gravy. Haven't driven it yet cuz it was all apart. Found some other issues now. The clutch safety switch was cut and jumped. While pulling dash apart been ripping out wiring for the subs and the power windows don't work. So I'm trying to figure that out.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok so power windows. My buddy has a 91 cb7 it's a japan model. Took his door panel with master switch and plugged it into my door and the windows didn't work. Checked fuses in the box under the hood and I have 12 volts at all four positions. Go under the dash and pull the 10 amp fuse for the windows and nothing. But I dunno if that's supposed to be on all the time or a variable. Does anyone know. Any ways. Pulled the door panel off and checked the one plug to master switch its grounded. And I have 12 volts at four pins on the plug for the window switch. And I took the switch apart loosely. Got some
Resistance and changes when I operate switches. Any ideas

Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Your last post is confusing me.

What is the problem with your car? Are all of the windows not working, or just one?

Checked fuses in the box under the hood and I have 12 volts at all four positions. Not sure what you mean by this and what you tested?

Go under the dash and pull the 10 amp fuse for the windows and nothing. Please explain.

And I have 12 volts at four pins on the plug for the window switch. And I took the switch apart loosely. What wire colors have power on them at the window switch?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

None of the windows work at all. At the master switch or at the individual doors. Under the hood I took a volt meter to the four fuses widows and have 12 volts across the terminals. Then in the box at the drivers side under dash there is a 10 amp fuse for power windows there was no voltage here. But I don't know if there should be. Looki g at schematics there is another relay in the box in the drivers side user dash????? But the four wires that should have voltage at the plug at the drivers door do have 12 volts umm greenblack blueblack yellowblack whiteyellow at the plug. But there is the connection for the window regulator the 2 to the master switch and one to the power mirrors and then this plug just hanging out going to nothing with 3 wires green greenred and black. I tried to jump the hot wires at the window switch plug to other pins and nothing happened. If that helps.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Name:  3d152ab4.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  9b92a95a.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  76.2 KB
First picture is the window plug with the lock out plug next to it. Yes this was plugged into the master switch and the second is the plug that was not plugged into anything.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

can you explain this sentence a little better, I am not following you here at all.

"Under the hood I took a volt meter to the four fuses widows and have 12 volts across the terminals. "

Quick Reply: electrical problem with intrument cluster