General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 PM
cloob
Unregistered
Default Electrical trouble

Hey all, noob looking to see if anyone has experienced my symptoms before.
Running a 2000 V6 bone stock with low miles..

Friday night returning home and all of the sudden the Brake, battery, warning lights light up along with all of the door open indicators and the trunk open indicator along with the Brake Lamp indicator. Car runs fine.. get's us home fine.
Was thinking maybe alternator so I checked the belt the next morning, fine. Ran the car the next day no problem..

Sunday I decide to take a better look, find a bad brake lamp, replace.. still get all the inicators lit up. Send the wife off to work this morning, she calls from the first stop light, she went to go change the CD at the llight and the car nearly stalls so she pulls off the road.
I get there, start it up and it runs fine.. ran it back home and put it on the charger.

It is the orig Honda battery and the battery indicator is dead dark.. so I'm thinking maybe just a weak battery? If it were alternator I shouldn't be getting the thing to run at all once the battery is that depleted.

My question is, what's with all thee funky alarm lights lighting? Any of you seen this symptom in the past with a dying battery?

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Old 10-03-2005, 11:41 PM
cloob
Unregistered
Default RE: Electrical trouble

Bah, thanks for nuttin! ;p

Bad alternator. Threw a meter on it tonight when I got home after charging the battery... 12.5V and dying...
Pulled the alternator and there was definately a bad bearing in it. Sure enough it tested bad at Auto Zone.
New one is in and the car is happy again.. all indicator lights are normal again.

Cloob out.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Administrator

As I always say, Thanks to the guy's and Gal's at the friendly AutoZone who check thos things out on those good machines that they have..

Support those people in there , they do a lot of freebees for folks and they seem to mostly enjoy doing it too.

WheelBrokerAng [sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 10-16-2005, 09:35 PM
coombs
Unregistered

I have a 2000 Accord coupe.

Had the exact same problem, all the warning lights came on, doors, battery, etc. I ignored it, and it cost me!

Ran for 2 days (on the battery) and then it stranded me.

$80 for the tow, and $750 for a new alternator and battery (it was killed by the full discharge)

So...yeh I would say it is the alternator, cause it should keep the car running (not stall at a stop).

Hope that helps.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:55 PM

omg $750 for Alternator and a battery - you gotta be *BEEP*

$350 is freakin expensive = what *BEEP* would pay 750???? Screwed big time!! [:@]