General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cuts out and stalls whilst driving and idling

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Default engine cuts out and stalls whilst driving and idling

can anyone please help,
i have a 2002 accord 1.8 vtec sport, only had car couple of months but last couple of weeks it has developed a problem, which is that it cuts out completely whilst driving or idling, car will start again no problem but only idles for about 10 secs then dies again. after a few repeated attempts to start the car it will start and drive perfect until it happens again, car does this very frequently just now and got me at my wits end, i did have a engine light came on and code was p0420 which refers to catalyst efficiency below threshold, reset management light and it hasnt came back on since which was few days ago but the problem of cutting out still exists, can anyone please help???

Old 12-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Problem (shut down then starts and runs fine) suggests a fuel delivery issue; intermittent fuel relay, fuel pump, wiring defect. Intermittent nature makes diagnostics problematic; can't find problem unless problem is presented.

A wiring diagram of fuel supply system is necessary to ID components and a shop manual to locate them. A strategy to catch the problem in progress can be developed w/ a "tell-tale" light in cabin to confirm loss of power to fuel pump is primary fault or faulty fuel pump.

W/O wiring diagram and shop manual, you can only replace parts and hope to get lucky.

I moved posts to correct forum. Welcome to HAF!

good luck

Old 12-13-2016, 06:34 AM

thank-you for welcome and thanks for the advice, i shall try that route of diagnosis, have heard lots people talking bout ignition switches and also relay fuses for fuel system and such like, where are relay fuses located are they in side of dashboard or under the bonnet??

Old 12-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are several fuses; ignition, main relay, fuel pump. They are ID'd in the cover under the hood and under the dash. That's why you need some type of shop manual.

Fuses aren't the problem with an intermittent condition.

good luck