General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Hesitation 2011 Accord V6 Coupe EX-L

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Default Engine Hesitation 2011 Accord V6 Coupe EX-L

I just bought a new 2011 Accord V6 EX-L 8 days ago. Five days after purchase I started experiencing prolonged engine hesitation when re-accelerating after slowing or decelerating to make turn. It has also happened a couple of times from a dead stop. The engine hesitates (complete loss of power) for approximately 4 seconds before it picks up and accelerates. This has happened 10 times in the last 4 days. It would be extremely dangerous if I need to pull into traffic and the engine has this hesitation. I push on the gas pedal and nothing will happen and then after the 4 seconds or so it will catch and run normally. Took it by the dealer briefly today and they were baffled. I am going to drop it off there tomorrow so it can be taken for a longer test drive.

Is this a common issue that anyone has heard about? Any suggestions or theories would be much appreciated.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Not sure if this applies to a 2011, but my 2005 had some outstanding recall for a transmission issue that had similar behavior.

I'll check the paperwork when I get home and post the details.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Default Hesitation problem 2011 honda accord 4 cyl

Robert L

I am experiencing the same hesitation problem that you described in our recently purchased 2011 4 cyl Accord. The dealer told me that they could not duplicate and that there was no code in the computer.
If you have solved your problem, please let me know so that I can educate my dealer.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM

My 99 Accord V-6 would always do the same. I suspect it is a quirk in this engine design.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Has anyone found a fix for the hesitation problem? I have a 2011 Accord with the same problem.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM

I found this prolbem caused by my habit of using my left foot for the brake. If accelerating, these newer cars have a safety feature that shuts down the engine if you hit the brake while accelerating. It doesn't take much pressure on the brake either. Try this - stop the car--begin accelerating--when you get to 15 or 20 miles per hour hit the brake while continuing your foot on the accelerator. You will feel the engine shutting down (watch the tachometer too). This shut off mechanism comes into play with speed of 6 mph and greater according to the dealer. I own a 2011 Honda Accord--am told all the new Hondas have this feature.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM

I just bought a used 2011 EXL 6 and it's doing the same thing

Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Default 2011 accord hesitation

Chuck, do you use your left foot for the brake as I do? If so, I believe that is our problem. We may have to change our driving habits. One of my hesitation episodes was scarry. I was on the interstate in the right lane which had come to a complete stop due to a wreck ahead. I tried to jump over into the left lane quicly as I saw an opening. When I made the move, my Accord hesitated for several seconds & I feared the engine had completely shut down. It finally did respond, but was scarry with fast traffic bearing down on me. Apparently, I was riding the brake pedal enough with my left foot to cause the shutdown. For now, I am going with that resolution to my problem but I will continue to monitor. Good luck. Let me know what you think.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM

After having my car for almost 6 months I can report that there is still a problem but it is very infrequent now. I have no idea what causes it when it does happen. I have found that when it has its "episodes" I pull over, turn the car completely off, and re-crank it. This seems to help most times. Also, driving the car hard seems to help and it's an excuse to have fun. I haven't noticed the left foot on the brake pedal causing the problem but I'm going to pay attention now and check that out but I don't think that is something that I do.

Bottom line is that the problem seems to be taking care of itself -mostly. If you want to take the car to the dealer what I would be absoloutly be sure to do is: 1) Only take it when it is currently having the hesitation problem and 2) When you get to the dealer DO NOT turn the car off. Get somebody to ride with you immediately while the problem is occurring. If you turn the car off or maybe even leave it parked and running too long it may revert to running correctly. It's a sneaky little s#!+.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Robert, I have found that very little pressure on the brake pedal (with left foot), while accelerating over 6 mph will cause the hesitation. It doesn't take much pressure, and apparently I was not aware I was riding the brake a bit. Try this on your car - accelerate to 15 mph or so, and touch the brake with your left foot while continuing to keep your right foot on the accelerator. It will cause a hesitation. Hope this helps - - this is a frustrating problem. If you are not a left foot brake person as I am, this is probably not your problem. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Engine Hesitation 2011 Accord V6 Coupe EX-L