General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Default Engine problems

OK, so last night I was driving home from work and as I turned onto my street the car started accelerating strangely. It was accelerating really slowly and once I got to where I was going uphill, it was struggling to even stay the same speed. I got home and decided I would check it out in the morning (It was already dark and I had an exam today I wanted to study for).

So, today I took it out to the country back roads across the street from my house to see if it was still doing it. It ran fine at first. So I turned around and headed back to the house. On the way back, it started doing it again. I could floor the throttle all I wanted and it would accelerate more than maybe 1mph per second. Then the car suddenly died. No jerking or anything that would seem to indicate a transmission/clutch issue. I tried to restart the engine while it was rolling, but all it did was struggle. Luckily, I was able to coast to a parking lot. I parked in a spot and checked all the fluid levels, etc, and everything seemed fine. I got back in the car and started it. It started right up, but the engine was shaking and the RPMs were idling below 1k. I got out and looked under the hood and the whole engine was shaking pretty badly. I decided to get into the car and try tapping the throttle. The moment I touched the throttle the car died again.

I had been assuming it was something transmission related, but I feel like it has to be something else since I'm not putting it in gear and it just dies. I'd love to get this worked out quickly, because I'm off school for the rest of the week. Classes start back Monday and I don't have a car I can borrow on a regular basis :-\

Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM

I don't know why, but my sig isn't showing up. The car is a 2001 Honda Accord LX 2.3L MT

Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a volt meter?

Did the check engine light come on during this?

The '01 4 cyl still has a dist......Are the tune up items up to date?