General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Accord Coupe V6 5AT hesitating. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Default 2008 Accord Coupe V6 5AT hesitating. Please help.

Info on car - 08 Accord 2dr V6 automatic EX-L

Okay I was crusing on the highway one day and the engine started to bog. I would give it gas and it would just sputter. I had to put in in neutral and coast to the shoulder. I turned it off and back on to see if that would fix the issue. It didn't. I would try and rev it up but it would bog trying to climb the RPMs. I was sitting there for about 15 min and started it back up again and it was acting normal and I was able to drive it home.

That was a couple of months ago. Today the car started doing the same exact thing and I was barely able to make it home. Any ideas?? Please help me.

BTW - there are no check engine lights or codes being thrown.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Have it checked for codes, pending?

What is the milage and how up to date are the maint items.

Any recent work done on the car?

Clean and tighten the battery cables....heck have the battery tested as well.....strange what a bad battery or connection can do these days.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Have it checked for codes, pending?

What is the milage and how up to date are the maint items.

Any recent work done on the car?

Clean and tighten the battery cables....heck have the battery tested as well.....strange what a bad battery or connection can do these days.
Yeah I was driving around again just now and it seems back to normal. I guess I'll run pending codes and check grounds and stuff. Do these cars have any issues with the drive by wire throttle body?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

For the 8th generation Accord V6 (2008-2012) two of the problems that sometimes occur are the following; however, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) (aka Check Engine Light) will usually be lit.

1. One or more spark plug may foul due to the way the VCM system operates. VCM is Variable Cylinder Management. Depending on the driving conditions, the Accord V6 can go from 6 cylinders, to 4 or 3 cylinders for fuel economy. Supposedly due to the way the VCM operated, certain driving conditions could lead to an overly rich mixture in one or more cylinder, which may cause the respective cylinder spark plug to get fouled.

Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | VCM

Honda's general fix was normally to just changed the fouled spark plug(s) and update the ECM/PCM (computer) software. Sometimes, some other part(s) in the system (e.g., solenoid valve, etc.) may also need replacement upon further diagnosis.

Honda TSB 10-033

2. Less common; but, does happen, may have a problem with the oil pressure switch (front rocker arm oil pressure switch or rear rocker arm oil pressure switch) and/or front or rear rocker arm oil control valve (also called a spool valve) can be faulty.

Honda Service News March 2012

If your battery has never been changed, get it tested. It may be nearing it useful life regardless.