New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

(Hopeful) Accord Owner Questions: 6MT vs. 5AT, extra options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Talking (Hopeful) Accord Owner Questions: 6MT vs. 5AT, extra options?

Hey all,

I currently have a 2012 Civic EX Sedan, and I just hit 30,000 miles on it. My entire family LOVES Honda –*gone through three CRV's already.

Now I'm looking for some power. My Civic is reaaaaaal slow. I'm currently in the market for a 2008-2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L (w/ the 271bhp 3.5L V6).

I just have some questions about the Accord –*I bet I've come to the right place.

Could you guys weigh in on the 6-speed manual transmission vs. the 5-speed automatic? I know the 3- and 4-cylinder option goes away with the 6MT –*how bad is the 6MT on gas mileage? I read that the 6MT has about a second lower 0-60 than the 5AT. I believe it, but I'd like to get that verified by someone who actually has a 6MT if possible. I don't really care for manual (sometimes I drive to NYC and the stop-and-go would be horrendous), but I would definitely go for manual if it meant such a significant increase in performance.

Would you guys also please weigh in on the price differences between, say, having the nav system or the premium stereo? Are they worth the money? Are heated seats standard in the EX-L trim level? I've been shopping around and doing some research – one site said they were standard, another didn't mention them at all.

And, this might not be the right place, but does anyone have a Passport 8500 radar detector? Are they any good? Is the 9500 worth an extra $150? I live in NY, so everything from X-band to laser is pretty common. I'd say Ka band is the most widely used, though.

Lastly, is there any sort of mileage cap on the V6 that I should know about? I know all the Hondas I've ever had in my family have been able to top 300,000 miles without a single breakdown, even with poor attention to oil change schedules. I'm just worried that the bigger engine or the 6MT is going to crap out at 100,000 –*does Honda's incredible reliability extend to this engine and transmission? Most of the coupes I see for sale are at around 60,000 miles. Does something terrible happen at 70,000 miles?

Last edited by Will Dahl; 04-08-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

I'll try to answer a question or two and ask a few.

The standard features can be found on many sites (edmunds for example).

The auto vs manual, well that is a debate all by its own. I personally prefer a stcik so you know where I would go. There are some pro's to an auto, I have to think about them .

The only thing to worry or keep in mind with the v6, it still has a timing belt that needs to be replaced per the maint schedule.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the reply!
I can find the standard features. I just noticed that some people are selling the model that came with the nav package or the premium stereo and jacking up the price considerably. I was wondering if the add-ons are really worth another 1.5k on a used car?

How often would you say that the belt has to be replaced? Is it harder to replace on the manual if I'm going to try to replace it myself?

Yeah, big debate about driving stick with my parents. I've never owned a stick car, and they insist that it's a huge pain in the butt... My friends who drive stick (I've consulted with an M3 owner and a WRX owner) think it's the greatest thing on Earth. Hmm. Do you have any idea how much the VCM saves on gas? I'd imagine it's at least 10mpg.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

The timing belt "job" should be done every 7 years or ~100K miles. Yes, I'll get yelled at but I let the Pilot go to 120K before I changed it.,,,,but I was getting worried by the mile.

Not difference in the timing belt "job" if the car is an auto or manual.

The VCM, I can only use the Pilot as a ref. It really only helps when you are at a steady "cruise" speed. It cuts off a few cyl to save on gas. So wouldn't give it 10mpg, in daily driving - also depends on your right foot - I might give it 2~3 mpg. On the highway, maybe up to 5 mpg.

Again, the stick vs auto is a long debated topic. It comes down to a personal preference. Yes, I'm thinking of getting a '14 TL-SH-AWD. The auto version does have the "paddle shift" and are a dime a dozen but to me it just isn't the same. To get a 6mt TL I have to special order it. The mt in these are so rare that it is almost down to special ordering a car I've never driven and "hope" I like it

EDIT: When I say timing belt "job", that is because there are more things to be replaced/inspected when replacing the timing belt - water pump, tensioners, idlers, inspect seals, ect. Also around that time the spark plugs are due.

Last edited by poorman212; 04-10-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Oh, I didn't realize that the VCM only affected cruising... Interesting. I think that tips it, I'm going to try and find a 2009-2010 6MT somewhere, and trade my 2012 Civic and a couple thousand for the Accord. I hear that the 6MT is much harder to find, but I heard that back in 2011. I know that Honda doesn't make many of them, but I hope that five years later I can find one

Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

VCM...
If you don't have your foot in it, it shuts down a couple cylinders. Some people can drive daily in the city with a light foot allowing the VCM to do that. But it depends STRONGLY on personal driving style. I've seen some people who drive on the highway in a manner that will prevent the VCM from doing it's job.

So it's real risky to "promise" that VCM will give you any particular amount of improvement.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hello New Member..Welcome to the HAF..

Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
So it's real risky to "promise" that VCM will give you any particular amount of improvement.
So true and I should have been more clear about it. I'm old, slow and stupid so most of the time I drive like the "gas" has an egg under it.

Also I use the cruise control on the highway whenever I can.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Howdy Admin!

Availability might restrict me to the 5AT anyway... not seeing too many 6MT's for sale around my area.

Yeah, that sounds about right. My Civic rides at about 23mpg with my heavy foot, but recently I've been taking it slow and it's all the way up to 31mpg... I think that's a way better deal, and saving two minutes really doesn't matter to me anymore.

Thanks for the advice

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

23mpg to 31mpg with a Civic...
I think that's called "maturity".
(Yeah, I'm an old guy)
I get on the fun-pedal often enough, but I realize there's a price.