General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Default Engine Rebuild

As some of you may know i had a valve break in my motor causing some damage. The motor has been pulled from the car and is in the process of being rebuilt. Here's what happened. My timing belt slipped recently and caused the car not to start so i had to reset the timing belt. About a month later this valve broke in the #4 cylinder and then she was dead. So I found out that all the intake valves are bent and 1 exhuast valve is also bent. To fix this I need to have 9 valves and 3 seats replaced. All this is being done for less than 300 dollars for the head only. The lower end needs a new piston for sure, but all will be replaced in the rebuild along with new bearings, freeze plugs, oil pump and screen along with all new gaskets of course. Total cost will run between 1300 and 1600 for a rebuilt longblock. Just thought i'd let you know. Any comments are welcome. Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Engine Rebuild

Plenty of good used engines for substantially less. You could probably do the whole thing for < $1300 for installationofa good used engine, including insurance to cover labor and engine, should your used engine turn out to be faulty. Try car-part.com. I did this on a 2000 Dodge Ram 5.9l v8 or about $1600.

good luck

Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 AM

maybe a motor swap in the making? j/k

Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 AM

That would have been a good opportunity for an h22 swap =)

Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 AM

[sm=exactly.gif]what i meant!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

1300-1600 dollars sounds like a very good deal for a rebuilt engine , if that includes LABOR as well ..

BUT , it sounds really inexpensive to me ,, a proper rebuilt should cost more than that ,, are they going to replace all the piston rings ? main + rod bearings ? do a complete valve job ? all the seals ? new t-belt ?
MMM i don't know what kind of rebuilding they do or the quality parts they use but it sounds really cheap to me to properly rebuil an engine to make sure that it lasts , for that price it sounds like a patch job not a full rebuilt

Old 04-13-2007, 02:23 PM

I'm against the rebuild, too. Since the price quoted is relatively low, I predict that if you go forward with the job, you will have to pay for additional "things that we recommend you do".

The place will no doubt want money up front to start the job. Then there'sa more than 50/50 chance that the above scenario will take place and then the old "if you don't do the additional stuff we recommend, we cannot guarantee the job" routine. Then it'll be upleasant-decision time deja vu.

If I were you, I'd go with a low-km JDM engine/trans unit. Then you're good to go for a long time.

Good luck either way.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:50 PM

That is pretty cheap. I had my 4.6 liter in my former car rebuilt for 3500 it included a rebuild kit and also went to a machine shop. It got kind of expensive when a bunch of things had to be replaced to get the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. So be ready for that. But there should be no extra charge in labor to replace parts since everything has to be taken off to take out the engine and then put back on. Like said in previous states going for a low mileage used engine might be better. Check out that link....

http://www.attarco.com/index.php?cPa...mp;filter_id=1

Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM

To stay in business, the place doing the rebuilding must,first and foremost,start the job. To do that, they will promise theworld andquote low enough so that what they propose is competitive with other reasonablealternatives.

Afterthey've gotten your down payment andstarted the job, it's back to Square 1, and all that they have promised in the pastis meaningless. They've gotyou exactly where they want you, and you can look forward to what is commonlyreferred toas "the installment plan". I leave it toyour imagination toguesswhat gets installed where.

Maybe you can tell that this is the voice of experience. If you can't, it is.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:13 PM

I have pulled the motor and removed the trans from it. Some places i called while shopping for the rebuild quoted me as little as 950 to as high as 2500 and the 2500 hundred was reusing my old parts. The rebuild im getting includes new pistons, main bearings, oil pump and screen, rebuilt head and valve job, new timing and balancer belts and all new gaskets for everything on the motor. they will time the motor for me and after calling and talking to people at 10 different shops this guy seems to be the best bet.