General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Surging

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
DerekD
Unregistered
Default Engine Surging

I've been helping a wife's friend and his fiancee get their cars fixed up so he can go back to work once he recovers from some surgeries. Just got a clutch put in so it is driveable but the engine is surging bad. It'll rev and then die way down, rev and die down, etc. Does it constantly. Haven't had it on the road yet (not tagged) so I'm not sure how it does going down the road. The car never actually shuts down completely to where it has to be restarted. I'm not sure what to check or how to check it...I was wondering about an IAC problem and tapped on it but didn't seem to make a difference. If there is a writeup on how to troubleshoot or test this problem please let me know...couldn't find anything searching. He has another Honda that is a similar year with the same problem so maybe I can fix them both. I already checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't find any.

Car is a '93 Honda Accord 2.2L 5spd.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Engine Surging

It wouldn't hurt to clean the carbon out of the IACV and FITV valves.

Can you rev it up? The FITV and IACV are only used when the throttle plate is closed to allow airflow through when a.) the engine is cold or b.) the throttle plate is closed (idle). If the FITV/IACV are at fault, the car should be driveable as long as the throttle is partially open.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

From PAHonda's post today, in a different thread:

ORIGINAL: PAHonda
The top hole goes to the IACV, the bottom one goes to the FITV.

The bottom hole should have very little vacuum when the car is warmed up. If you plug that hole with your finger and the idle stabilizes, then your FITV is the problem. The repair is pretty simple.

This site shows how to fix both the FITV and IAC. http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1844067&page=1

here is another link for the FITV https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/arc...s-95855-1.html

For the FITV, you basically unscrew and clean it out with throttle body cleaner, then screw in the valve until it is snug. The IAC, you clean it out with throttle body cleaner.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:20 AM
DerekD
Unregistered

Cool, it worked...you guys are 2/2 = awesome!

Didn't actually work on his Accord since he doesn't have it tagged yet. Instead I worked on his '90 Prelude which is the families only operating car at the moment and it was surging from 1600-2500rpm. You could hear that thing inside my house from down the street!

I removed the IAC and it didn't have that much build up in it but cleaned it out the best I could anyway. Then I took off the other one and found out the white plastic part had come completely loose. I hadn't seen the second post on here so I just cleaned it up and reinstalled it then adjusted it for an 800 rpm idle with the car warmed up. Figured that was probably a couple hundred too high but I was running out of time and the owner was happy with it. Nice and smooth at that speed anyway. The white part was really loose in the bore so I ran a small bead of RTV along the edge to keep it in place.

Anyway, the guy saw how I fixed it and said he might try to do it on his Accord by himself. I've already done a lot of work for him and been neglecting my own stuff. At least now he has one decent running Prelude and an Accord he can use in an emergency if he has to (lives in the middle of nowhere with snow weather coming).

Thanks!

Derek