General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error 41 Code?? on a F20A motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Default Error 41 Code?? on a F20A motor

Hi all, was looking for a bit of help please. Our old faithful Honda 1992 accord (innova/ascot) with the SOHC F20A motor (with Auto box) is playing up. The engine check light is on. From what I have been told from a mechanic it is indicating an error 41. (The car played up and had to be left in another town, so I'm reliant on an unknown mechanic, I don't trust)

Not being familiar with Honda codes, is it for the oxygen sensor??

If so, I take it this is the sensor screwed into the exhaust after the headers but before the cat convertor. If so, is it a straight forward screw out and replace with a new one, then some sort of reset of the cpu somehow?

I done our big ford a few years back, dead easy, however not being fluent in Honda talk I have no idea how the reset is done? Finally does anyone know where I can get an O2 senor at a reasonable cost off the net? The local dealer wants my left arm for one. (might try rock auto)

Look forward to any help, Cheers, A Dub-ya

Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Code 41 means an electrical fault was detected in the O2 sensor heater circuit. It could be a bad sensor (most likely), bad connection (possible), damaged wiring (possible), or faulty ECu (also possible).

Usually, the first check is resistance of the heating element in the O2 sensor. If it shows open or short, no need for further investigation. Replace the O2 sensor.

If otherwise, diagnostics must be performed to determine where the electrical fault lies.

Do you plan to DIY?

good luck

Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Hey thanks for the advice, yep I intend on DIY as I do all of my vehicles maintenance. The Honda rarely given any trouble in the nine years we have owned it.

I'll test out the O2 sensor to see what is what.

Cheers

Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug the O2 sensor & look at the end of the cable coming from the sensor. Two of the wires are the same color (black?). Those are the heater element. Measure electrical resistance between them, it should be 10 to 40 ohms.

Usually a failed heater element will read OPEN-CIRCUIT. In that case, replace the O2 sensor. If that's not it, let us know for further testing.