General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question for diy

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 PM
freeze101
Unregistered
Exclamation exhaust question for diy

Hi Everyone

I wasnt sure whether to put this in this section or the exhaust section so sorry if its in the wrong one.

I have been searching for hours and I cant seem to find anything that explains to me how to remove the rear and middle box on my 1999 2.0 Accord.I have done many exhausts on other cars I have owned but they have all been simply bolt on back boxs and stuff and the one on my Accord looks like nothing I have seen before im sure its easy when you know how I guess my real question is how do you remove different parts of the exhaust system are they nut and bolts or something else that has to be cut off or something ?

thanks for reading

Freeze

Last edited by freeze101; 12-28-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Help me out. What are you calling a box? I looked at the exhaust for your year Honda on the Majestic dealer site. It is just a convertor toward the front with a long B pipe and then the muffler with welded tailpipe. It looks to have either studs or nuts at each joint with a gasket. It takes apart with a short 90 in front of the muffler, then next way up by the front of the car B pipe to convertor.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM
freeze101
Unregistered

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
Help me out. What are you calling a box? I looked at the exhaust for your year Honda on the Majestic dealer site. It is just a convertor toward the front with a long B pipe and then the muffler with welded tailpipe. It looks to have either studs or nuts at each joint with a gasket. It takes apart with a short 90 in front of the muffler, then next way up by the front of the car B pipe to convertor.
Im sorry here we call the silencers/mufflers (box's)

I need to replace the centre and rear silencer so my question was how to remove it from the cat as they dont seem to be bolts ??Their is certainly three studs of some kind but they do not look like they have a nut on ore unbolt out themselves ??

thanks for the reply I appreciate it

Last edited by freeze101; 12-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:00 AM

Majestic Honda lets you order on line and you can look up your parts and see the illustration but it is for a USA vehicle. They show bolts and lock nuts at both ends of the convertor..

Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 AM

They should be studs and nuts at the cat. Possibly bolts with springs around them too. You may want to heat them with an oxy/acetylene torch so you don't break a stud.

Kris, it's a 2.0, meaning it's not from the U.S.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 AM
freeze101
Unregistered

Originally Posted by finch13
They should be studs and nuts at the cat. Possibly bolts with springs around them too. You may want to heat them with an oxy/acetylene torch so you don't break a stud.

Kris, it's a 2.0, meaning it's not from the U.S.

Yeah your 100% correct about it not being from the U.S and your answer is pretty much what I would have said but these are not studs/bolts and nuts they actually look like they have been pressed in or something at the factory I am going to clean it more and try to have a better look but it looks like I am going to have to cut them off.

Thank you for your reply though

Freeze

Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Generally they have a donut gasket & spring-bolts so the exhaust can flex at each joint. If you can't get the strange factory bolts, I've been able to use long normal bolts with several nuts & fender washers to do the same thing.