General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory applied window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Default Factory applied window tinting

My daughter owns a 2006 Honda Accord.
A few days ago she was stopped by a policeman for having too much window tint on her windshield as well as all of the side windows.
Researching, I found out that Tennessee does, indeed, have a window tint law... basically the tinting must allow at least 35% of visible light to be transmitted through it. [The policeman did a light test with a portable device and said it read only 17%]

We bought the vehicle used from a car dealer and did not install the tint.

1. I believe that the window tinting was probably installed at the factory, but I am not sure. Is there a way for me to determine if this was done at the factory or not? And if so, is the factory tint easily removed?
Here is the info imprinted on the windshield and windows:
Windshield: Lamisafe Tech M334 AS1
Windows: Temperlite Tech M2#3 AS2
Is there a way to determine, if this is indeed factory applied, that this tint is in compliance with Tennessee law?

2. What is the expense in removing a factory applied tint? Can I do it myself? If the tinting was done by a previous owner, I assume it would be both easier and cheaper to remove it, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts or leads on where I need to go would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First, the tint wasnt installed at the factory. It was aftermarket. These cars come without tint. The original dealer may have done it, but that is not likely since it was done to a % lower than the legal limit, unless it came from out of state.

Any reputable tint shop can remove it for a fee. If you choose to retint at a legal %, the shop will usually remove the old stuff for free. Not sure I would tackle it on my own, unless I was flat broke.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Driver and passenger side windows are not tinted by the manufacturer, neither is the windshield. The car would not pass DOT standards and could not be sold that way. It was probably outsourced to a tint company where the dark tint was applied. I bought my 1993 from aa Arizona resident who had done all 4 side windows and the back window as well. It did not hold up well and had bubbles and wrinkles in it. I had to remove all of it...Took me all day as the tint seperated and left the adhesive on the glass. Many razor blades, various solvents, Goof Off, and a load of foul language on my part before I got the job done. Take it to a tint shop and let them handle it as it is a real pain in the butt....