General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed smog-No Timing marks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

A flex plate is simply what an auto-tranny uses in place of the flywheel. No biggie, sometimes we call it a flywheel too. If that hole is in the right spot, it's really no need to replace the flex plate.

If that mark/hole is at 15deg. before TDC, then you're good. If it's right at TDC, then look for another mark 15deg. before that one. If there isn't one, then you can get a timing light with an advance dial built into the timing light.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
slloth
Unregistered

Originally Posted by JimBlake

If that mark/hole is at 15deg. before TDC, then you're good. If it's right at TDC, then look for another mark 15deg. before that one. If there isn't one, then you can get a timing light with an advance dial built into the timing light.
The little mark lines right up at TDC. My timing light does an advance ****. So i guess i should be able to set the advance to 15 and then line up the mark?

I just don't know if that will suffice for the guys at the smog station who failed me.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Check to verify that 15 BTC is actually the correct timing for your car. It's probably on the emmissions sticker under the hood.

Call the smog station to see if that's OK?? I don't know the rules for that stuff. I would have thought that if the smog is OK, they don't have to check the base timing.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 PM
slloth
Unregistered

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Check to verify that 15 BTC is actually the correct timing for your car. It's probably on the emmissions sticker under the hood.

Call the smog station to see if that's OK?? I don't know the rules for that stuff. I would have thought that if the smog is OK, they don't have to check the base timing.
Can't get any marks to line up with the timing light advanced or at zero. I'm thinking the flex plate is either not the right one or somehow installed wrong.

It's so frusterating because the car is running great. I don't want to have to take out the transmission and buy a new flex plate just because of a couple little marks! Oh well.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Are you sure you have timing light pickup on #1 cylinder (drivers end of engine)?

You said you were sure the single dimple was at TDC. Are you now not sure?

Can you see that flash occurs near the TDC dimple mark or very far away? Try placing some temp marks (paint stick) on the flywheel for reference.

Once you establish where TDC really is, then you can also make a 15 BTDC mark on flywheel by first marking engine casing at TDC and then rotating camshaft timing belt sprocket to ~15 BTDC (~ 30 degs cam sprocket rotation). Count camshaft sprocket lobes and mark an estimate 30 degrees BTDC position on sprocket. You should always rotate engine only in CCW direction as you look at drivers side end of engine. You will have to turn engine 360 degs to return to the 15 BTDC position mark on sprocket. Then mark your flywheel permanently.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 04-10-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
slloth
Unregistered

I am taking it in to a state approved smog repair station next week. They said they can legally remark the torque converter and everything should work out...I hope!