General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default fan switch problem

I do have the ULEV Accord, the 4 Cyl slow as all can be version. Don't get me wrong its great for what I need it to do, to and from work with the best fuel economy I can get.

Your post mentioned that ONLY the V6 Accords had this type of set up???
IF its not the resistor then what can it be???

I did manage to order a resistor from Advanced Auto today (Sat) $87.00 yeesh, will not be in until tomorrow. I hope to be able to get under the passenger side dash and look at it tomorrow.

Further feedback greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by redbull-1
On a 98 Accord EX, it has a blower motor resistor. I see that part at Rockauto, Autozone, etc. One of your previous threads seems to mentioned you have an Accord coupe ULEV.

Only the 1998 EX with V6, with auto-climate control, used a blower motor power transistor.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

My post stated, "Only the 1998 EX with V6, with auto-climate control, used a blower motor power transistor"

Essentially, the 1998 Accord LX with V6 (without auto-climate control) and the 98 4 cylinders used a blower motor resistor.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default fan switch problem

I picked up the part today didn't get to install or look any further at the car. Stupid life got in the way again! Will look at it during the week.

Thanks for the help will post my finding and repair.

Originally Posted by redbull-1
My post stated, "Only the 1998 EX with V6, with auto-climate control, used a blower motor power transistor"

Essentially, the 1998 Accord LX with V6 (without auto-climate control) and the 98 4 cylinders used a blower motor resistor.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 AM

Followup on my 2000 Accord with the heater fan that slows down and stops in any speed. Still way too cold to even think about fixing it outside, so I applied one of the oldest known adjustments to Saturday mechanics: I whacked the motor shell with a rubber mallet. In almost every case, the fan snaps to the right speed for the switch setting. It may slow down later, but another whack brings it to life again. I can live with this 'til the weather warms up (think July). My understanding is that this suggests it's the motor rather than the resistor (no auto climate control).

Old 03-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Replaced the resistor with a new one. Its like a miracle on 34th st! I now have fan control in all 4 speeds. To think it took me close to 5 months to do this, and it took literally 5 minutes to do. I mean come on now I've stood on line at Target longer than that to pay for stuff!

Thank you all for the replies and solution to this silly matter.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, at the end of the day.....it is working the way you want now.

Trust me, I put stuff all the time when it is minor. Example, I've had an alt belt that would "talk to me" when rain/water got to it for about six months. Finally got around to tightening the belt Saturday. Need to get a new one, somewhat "glazed", but that might be another six months

Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Totally understand putting small stuff off. It didn't bother me on my daily commute. It's when we took the car on a long distance drive & the weather was crummy that my wife kept complaining that the fan speed was noisy & the rushing air onto the windshield was drying her eyes out. Fine I'll find a solution & it's now done.