General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame problems around headlight and radiator/condensor support

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default frame problems around headlight and radiator/condensor support

I have a show car. A recent rain hydroplane caused front end damage. Have purchased a new hood; now "opening up" the front. The area around a headlight is bent appreciably, as is the riser for the rad/condensor support. I thought that I would replace the top bar, but I find that the top bar has several weld at the ends. Similarly the frame around (and for) the headlight support is also either a part of the uni-body or has welds.
Question: is this front end sold as a single piece or can I purchase separate sections? I have some good weld opening bits to make holes, but if I do that are the overlapping pieces somewhat easily chiseled apart?
Or: Could I could I cut out the damaged sections and drill out for bolt joining or rewelded? (This would mean that any new section would be about 1/8" out of line from what was.)
If I seek such parts from the junkers, could I buy in parts or be forced to take a large front section? Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM

you can replace the whole radiator support... if i knew the year of your car i would post a link to one