General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frequent Squeal on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default Frequent Squeal on Startup

My 94EX squeals briefly on startup. I thought surely a belt squeal and tightened both drive belts a bit. No change. I thought perhaps my harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley rubber bushing is slipping, so I marked the pulley w/ a radial line to see if outer pulley is slipping. The mark is in a difficult spot and only can be seen w/ a mirror and light. Earlier checks showed no change to marker.

Yesterday I removed both drive belts to eliminate them as a source and confirmed that squeal still is there. So, I'm thinking it can only be the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. However, i examined the mark and it still (months have gone by) does not appear to be disturbed. Mark may not extend to the inner surface of bushing and that may be the surface that's slipping causing the squeal.

My question: Is there anything else that might cause this squeal. It's definitely coming from belt area and doesn't seem to be muffled at all, quite loud.

Regards

Old 08-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Frequent Squeal on Startup

Having trouble posting again!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

TB bearings squealing or pulley rubbing against lower TB cover? Pull upper TB cover and listen if sound is louder. Adjust tension TB?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Posting problem makes for pithy replies. I plan to pull the harmonic balancer and lower TB cover to check internals. Will advise. Thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, bearings on tensioner pulleys?
Garden hose = poor-mans stethoscope.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Think despite my marking it's harmonic balancer. I need remove and get a close inspection. Will advise. thanks

Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 AM

Since I wanted to examine all the timing belt components, I decided to go ahead and replace timing belts,tensioners,and water pump, even though it's not due for another 50K miles.

I opened car up and everything looked normal. Tensioners were replaced at last TB change and were fine. Water pump was normal when removed and showed no evidence of damage.

I believe I found the problem, but could not fix. The timing belt pulley on the crankshaft has a washer behind it that is very close to the engine cover (Oil pump cover). It may be contacting on startup. I tried to remove the woodruff key and pulley but they would not release. Is there any trick to removal. I decided to close everything back up since I need to use the car next week. I hate to redo this but will since wear between washer and oil pump cover is not a good.

Upon reassembly the familiar squeal was there. I've found that I can avoid the squeal by allowing the car to almost start, and shut down, then immediately restart. I'll do that for now.

Any thoughts on removal of woodruff key and timing belt drive pulley would be appreciated. I was thinking perhaps a small washer shim behind the pulley might space enough to avoid the contact.

Regards

Old 08-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Those pulleys slide off the crankshaft. I think that they get slightly frozen on there over time.

When I replaced my crank seal, those two pulleys were stuck on there a bit. I used my torch on them for a second, and I put a pvc tube on it and gave that a quick tap with my rubber mallet. I used a bit of antiseize on the crankshaft to prevent that from happening in the future.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks, I'll try heating and rapping next time.

I think I may have to use a cold chisel to knock the woodruff key out. Hopefully I can get some outward force to remove. I tried using vise grips to grab the key and pullout but it wouldn't budge. I might be able to rig a slide hammer to pull on the vise grips.

BTW, I lubed my crankshaft retaining bolt w/ anti-sieze when I re-installed it some 5 yrs and 60k miles ago. Crankshaft bolt came loose yesterday w/ what I would estimate as nearly same torque as originally applied. Anti-sieze was still visibly in place. I used honda restraint tool, and 20-inch breaker bar w/ no cheater pipe. Easiest removal I've ever had.

Regards