General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeal/whine

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Default squeal/whine

Hey guys. I just recently bought a 99 accord 4 cyl at. I noticed when I turned the car on there is a squeal/whine and after a few seconds stop. I figure something is wrong with the air con. Then I noticed when I accelerate there is also whining sounds, only audible for the first 2 gears. No clue what is going on here. Hope you honda gurus can help me out = ). Thx in advance.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Default RE: squeal/whine

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by squeal/whine but I would say you have a loose/worn belt. When you start the car there is a lot of drain on the battery and then the alternator has to catch up. Check your belt if that is the type of squeal that you are hearing.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 PM

Thx dude. Sounds good. I'll check it out. = )

Old 09-23-2006, 03:07 PM

I'd agree with slusher that it sounds like a belt squeel but if the belt looks normal and not cracked/glazed then it may just need some adjustment, check it over for condition then wiggle it up/down and see how far up and how far down it moves total, I believe typically you don't want more that about 1.5 inches of total travel on it, if you do have more than that then get a socket set and a pry bar if you have one or just a long board or wrench, then loosen up the alternator bolts a bit and push the alternator out so the belt tightens up, then tighten a few of the bolts (this is easier to do with two people), start the car and check it, that may fix it too

Old 09-23-2006, 06:12 PM

oh boy. so i got an oil change. when i got home i noticed a burning smell and smoke coming out. is this normal after oil change? i turned the car off and let it sit. turned it back on and no smoke or smell. ugh. maybe just a messy job when they did it?

i'll check the belts out when my dad gets back in town. he has a bit more experience with this stuff. thx for timely response and thorough explanation. i think i'm gonna have to get a chilton's repair manual. lol

Old 09-23-2006, 06:14 PM

http:\\hondatech.info just download the manual from there and save a few bucks, it's fairly normal for them to spill some oil when they do the change, just make sure your oil cap is tight and the dipstick is all the way in

Old 09-23-2006, 09:35 PM

that happens to me every time I change my oil, the oil filter is directly above in my honda at least the exhaust pipe, and when you remove the oil filter it does pour out the oil thats in there, so if it stopped smoking and smelling a bit after the change then thats more than likely the case.