General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Balancer Shaft Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Front Balancer Shaft Alignment

After engine rebuild, I am at the point of installing the timing and balancer belts. The timing belt matches up with the alignment marks on the oil pump and the camshaft. The engine has been rotated numerous times (CCW direction)and the marks for both are still in time. The tensioner was also locked in place while installing the balancer belt

After installing the balancer belt and properly tensioning, the top secondary alignment mark is slightly off (see attachment, note that the primary alignment mark is in the correct vicinity also at 3 o'clock position). The shaft secondary mark should be at the 12 o'clock position but it looks like is actually at 11:58 o'clock.

I locked the rear balancer shaft with a screwdriver, while the timing belt was at TDC, when installing the balancer belt and also tensioned. Increasing the tension further on the belt moves it a little closer but not by very much. If I move the belt "one tooth" it appears that it will throw it off by more than what it is off now. I have also rotated the engine (CCW only) numerous times with both belts and all marks end up as previously noted at TDC.

My question is more of a sanity check as to whether this is truly an issue and if it is so what may I have overlooked.

Attached Files
Old 12-29-2014, 10:04 AM

I would strongly suggest reading the last few posts (in particular, #12 onward) on the following thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-accord-55793/

Also check out my photos in this post:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...977/#post24167
to see if your alignment compares.

Also read my rather long diatribe about belt installation here:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...977/#post24226

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tony1M; 12-29-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the information Tony, it is very detailed, comprehensive and useful. I have reviewed and have followed but I still am not sure that I have the correct belt placement,

Here is what I have done (note that I uploaded a new attachment that compares the two positions)
a) The rear balancer shaft is locked in place with a screwdriver through the maintenance port. I verified the various position via your previous post and all matched. The screwdriver can be easily removed and reinstalled at both positions
b) The drive pulley is locked at TDC via the timing belt.
c) The belt was installed taut from rear balancer gear down to main pulley and then to front balancer shaft pulley.
d) I then rotated a tooth and performed same as noted above for position #2
The only way I could get the marks to line up was if the belt was taut from rear balancer to front balancer but then the tensioner had no slack to pull up and two much slack at the other areas
In my opinion after trying different positions, that #1 (see attachment) is the proper one but since the marks don't match up exactly I am hesitating to proceeding further. I am not sure how to make any other adjustments other than a little bit of slack with the rear balancer gear which is achieved by moving the screwdriver but not much. The tensioner does push down and cause position #1 to move a little closer to the alignment mark. Unfortunately I don't have a record of what it looked like before the engine was disassembled.

Are the marks close enough to be within the design margin, or will this cause a vibration issue when the engine is running? All comments would be appreciated.

Attached Files
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

I'll second your vote.....one looks better

Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Door #1 looks pretty good to me, too.

BTW, I'll bet it's nice doing all of this while the engine is on a stand.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

off topic: "Tony" - nice to see you around and hope eveything has been going well for you!

Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the input, I will go forward with position #1. Still not quite sure why its not aligning exactly but feel comfortable with proceeding.

The engine stand has worked great! I started off trying to do this work with the engine installed, but quickly learned that a used stand and crane would be a good investment.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
off topic: "Tony" - nice to see you around and hope eveything has been going well for you!
Thanks, poorman. Things are going fine for me and my wife and I hope things are going well for you and yours, too.

Happy New Year!