General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer Gear Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Balancer Gear Alignment

I'm in the process of reassembling my F22B2 engine and noticed that the alignment for the Balancer gear case does not appear to align per the manual (see attachment for page from manual and photos of my alignment). Note that I have aligned the rear balancer shaft pulley via a 6mm locking screwdriver via the maintenance hole.

Basically the problem is when I install the balancer gear case so that the groove on pulley matches to the upper pointer on the gear case, the secondary pointer on the pulley is off a tooth in relation to the pointer on the oil pump.

Now when I remove and install the pulley so that the secondary pointer on the pulley matches the oil pump pointer, the top notch on the gear now points to the mark just next to the gear case pointer. It appears that there are two marks on the top gear case (see attachment)

Does it matter as long as the balancer shaft is locked and the balancer belt is installed so that the front balancer shaft matches up with its TDC mark?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Honda Balancer Gear alignment.pdf (261.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM

As long as you have the screw driver in the maintenance hole, the crank is at TDC with the engine on the no. 1 cylinder and the balancer shaft marks are matched up everything should be alligned. I am wonder if you removed the balance gear box and when re installed it meshed the gears off by a tooh or two. Do as you are and you should be just fine.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

The gearset behind that pulley is NOT 1:1, so each time you spin that sprocket the little dimple timing mark moves out of position. If you wanted, you could simply spin it around a few times instead of unbolting it & re-installing.

As long as the pin/screwdriver is in the maintenance hole, then the actual shaft is correctly positioned.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

As a follow-up:
The gears on the balancer gear case and the gear on the front balancer gear are curved and cause the pulley to move to the right (looking at crankshaft), as they are engaged. The gear ratio is also 2:1.
If you line up the groove on the pulley edge with the pointer and then install, the pulley moves to the right to meet the second pointer at the top (see attachment), which then is confirmed by the dot on the pulley at the 5 o'clock position lining up with the pointer on the oil pump. As you guys noted, if the shaft is locked then it shouldn't matter but the alignment marks make it easier to find the locking hole through the maintenance hole in the future. Will also lock shaft when installing balancer belt.

The directions in the Honda shop manual vague.
Thanks Jim and Turtlehead for helping me work this correctly.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:33 PM

On behalf of Jim and I you are welcome! Thanks for posting back and don't forget to remove what ever you use to align the shaft through the maintenance port. I laugh as I type this because we had a car in the shop a few years ago where the person forgot to remove the screwdriver before starting the car. Not good for the engine, and it is a simple thing to overlook. Good luck!