General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
o4bluacc
Unregistered
Default Front Brakes

Ok so i have a 04 honda accord 4cyl. I started to do the front brakes and got all the way to the rotors and there are these stupid screws that hold the rotor on to the hub. myroomate was told me that i did not need those screws when i put in the new rotors and the only reason they are therewas to hold them in place when it went down the assembly line. but the new rotors i bought have a slot for the screws. most cars allow the rotor to "float" and i was wondering is that possible for my car and to just let the calipers and the breaks and my tire hold it on or do i have to screw those bolts on

Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Default RE: Front Brakes

Yes you can leave them off if you want, however, if you didn't damage the screws then put them back in. If you don't use them and you mistorque your lugnuts or some joe blow at a tire shop does then your floating rotors and now floating wobbly... Put 'em in if you can, if not then just be sure to torque it evenly

Old 02-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Most cars do not allow the rotors to float. Floating rotor brakes are on a couple cars that normal mortals can't afford anyway.

He's right about those being needed for the assembly line. Without them, the rotors are held in place tightly (no-float) when you tighten the wheel nuts, just like they are onmost other cars.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM
o4bluacc
Unregistered

okay that sounds good. but the only thing is they are tough as hell to get off( talking about the screws) we might jsut have to drill them out.

thanks for the help and the fast replys

Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Use an impact screwdriver with a bit that fits well. I think most auto parts stores have loaner set you can borrow (prolly have to pay a refudable deposit).

Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Soak em for a while with Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. I've got an impact screwdrive like Oma says. It's the kind where you hit the handle with a hammer. It works OK, but if you DO have to drill it out, you can safely drive the car without those screws.

If you get them off, use some anti-seize.