General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front bumber damage on free way and it is non-collision

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Default Front bumber damage on free way and it is non-collision

Hi,

When I was driving on free way, one small iron sheet suddenly fallen on my accord front bumper and it got damaged. Now should I inform insurance company to get it replaced or should I get it replaced with own cost. It was non-collision incident.

Auto insurance type is comprehensive and $50 deductible.

Appreciate any suggestion/reply.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by srk607
Hi,

When I was driving on free way, one small iron sheet suddenly fallen on my accord front bumper and it got damaged. Now should I inform insurance company to get it replaced or should I get it replaced with own cost. It was non-collision incident.

Auto insurance type is comprehensive and $50 deductible.

Appreciate any suggestion/reply.

Thanks in advance.
What year is the car? How bad is the damage? Can you just live with it? Did you get the plate number of the moron with the falling debris and/or chase him down?

If you cannot live with the damage, find out what a salvage yard wants for a bumper- see if you can find the same color/year. If you find a direct 100% color match replacement you save a fortune on what repainting would cost and doing it that way usually matches a little better than having it repainted because you get a part that is similarly weathered to the rest of the vehicle.

If you can get this fixed for a couple of hundred or so I say that is a better idea than making a claim. I try to avoid making a claim unless it's going to really pay off. Why give the )#(*%#s an excuse to raise your premiums indefinitely over a small thing, you know?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Thank you so much for the reply.

It is Accord 2007 SE v6. Actually the iron sheet was not fallen from the car. That iron sheet was on the the road in the left lane to me (in the car pool lane) so when the other car went on edge of the iron sheet it was flied all of sudden and fallen on my car bumper. As i was driving at 65mph I couldn't stop immediately. I inquired at honda dealer and they said it costs 320$ without paint and labor cost.

I can live with this damage but it looks odd. So I'm looking for suggestion.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 PM

This should be covered by the comprehensive coverage, unless you didn't buy it. So I'd give your insurer a call and ask them, there's no harm in doing so. Here's a quote from an insurer:

Comprehensive coverage pays for loss or damage to your vehicle caused by fire, theft, vandalism, hail, windstorm, riot, falling objects, flood, collision with an animal, and other events as stated in your policy contract.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 PM

ok thank you, sure I will give a try with insurer but I'm scared that how it would impact the premium rates and I think definitely it will be recorded in dmv records as self damage(non-collision).