General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front License Plate help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Default Front License Plate help

My question is similar to this thread, https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/install-front-license-plate-48117/

I know very little about cars but I will try my best here. I have a 2006 Accord. I moved to Utah from Michigan and now I need a front license plate. I was just going to have a friend drill holes in the front but his wife has a newer Accord that has a black thing on the front that the plate goes on. He wanted me to try and get one of those. It that the bracket?

I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what that is called. And also the best place to get it from. Does it cost a lot from the dealer? Or should I try to get it online? I can have my friend put it on for me so I just need the equipment.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's available from dealer. Check majestic honda online for price. No other option to do a neat job.

good luck

Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Thank you but do you happen to know the name of the part on there? I looked through all of them but I still have no clue which one it is.

Is it possible to walk into a place like Pep Boys and ask for one? I really could care less how nice it looks as long as it stays on my car. I read that some people use zip ties. I would even consider that. I honestly don't care. I just want it on my car for something under $30.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

It's called a front license plate base and list for around $18. You also need the nuts and bolts for it. Look under bumper. Internet dealers sell for around $13 for the base; but, due to shipping, it may come close to the local dealer.

Local dealer may mark up over list though.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM

Does this one work? Honda Front License Plate Holder Black Frame Tag Bracket Mount Mounting Bumper | eBay

It's $15 total. The description says, Center-mount or Relocate your plate anywhere on the bumper with this versatile kit. It includes a Bracket, Frame, Screw-Caps, & Mounting Hardware. This kit is universal and made to secure the standard 6"x12" plates issued by all 50 states.

I will buy this one today if it's fine.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

No, that one doesn't work without drilling or some other hardware. I'll see if I can find one for you.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

The OEM Honda front license plate base is even less expensive that what I quoted earlier today. My eyesite is bad looking at the small screen on my iPhone earlier when I responded.

The part numbers may be the same; but, just to make sure, is yours a coupe or sedan?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't found a cheaper one yet; but, here are some price comparisons. I didn't include the license plate frame (#10 in the diagram), as you can use any frame with the base. Sports Chalet gives away free frames that says things like "I rather be skiing, playing tennis, golfing, fishing, etc." There's a Sport Chalet in West Jordan , Utah.

The parts I listed are #9, #35, #29, and #43, respectively in the diagram.

List Price:
71145-SDA-A10 BASE, FR. LICENSE PLATE $10.90
90675-SA5-003 NUT, CLIP (6MM) $3.35 X 2 = $6.70
90111-SM4-003 BUMPER, BOLT $2.77 x 2 = $5.54 (cheaper if you can find at local hardware store to match the clip nut)
93904-46220 SCREW, TAPPING (6X16) $.67 x 2 = $1.34 (cheaper if you find at local hardware store)
Total List Price = $24.48 plus taxes (as long as dealer doesn’t mark-up)
Without bolts and screws (Base $10.90 and clip nuts $6.70): $17.60 plus taxes

Online Honda Dealer:
71145-SDA-A10 BASE, FR. LICENSE PLATE $10.90 $7.65
90675-SA5-003 NUT, CLIP (6MM) $3.35 X 2 = $6.70 $2.35 X 2 = $4.70
90111-SM4-003 BUMPER, BOLT $2.77 x 2 = $5.54 $1.94 X 2 = $3.88
93904-46220 SCREW, TAPPING (6X16) $.47 x 2 = $.94
Total = $17.17 + $13.46 UPS shipping = $30.63

Shipping costs is high. The above example is from Bernardi Honda Parts shipped to Salt Lake City, Utah.

I think places like Majestic charges a $5 handling fee too.

So, total at local dealership is still less if they sell at list price. What you can do is call the local dealership part department and ask for a price to see if they may mark up or not, ask if they give a discount. If they sell at list or with a discount and you're okay with it, get the parts person name and then go in to buy it.

Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate help-front-license-plate-bracket.jpg   Front License Plate help-sda4b4601a.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 PM

This is how terrible I am, I had to google coupe and sedan. My car has 4 doors so I gather it's a sedan.

Thank you for getting me all that info. On the ebay one, if I don't mind about drilling into the front and my friend probably has any missing hardware because he works on cars all the time would that one be ok? I am not much of a people person so I would like to avoid having to physically go into a place if at all possible.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Unless they have some other mounting system they are not showing, the ebay one will most likely require drilling, as the parts shown in their pictures does not look similar to the one Honda has for your car. It will be okay if you don't mind possibly drilling.

Your choice; but, calling before going in to purchase something can many times save a lot of time, aggravation and money. If they charge more than list, then you can make the choice and/or not even bother. If they charge list or less, getting that person's name puts them in a spot where they usually will honor what was quoted over the phone; there are always exceptions. A phone call is generally easier without pressure, if you don't go in, they won't know you from the next person. If you do go in after the phone call, it is also easier and faster, as they would have already looked up what you were looking for and may even already pulled the item out.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate help