General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Default Fuel in Oil

I bought a 2012 Accord LX last summer with 9,000 miles on it. At ~11,000 miles I did an oil change. The oil I drained looked horrible. I replaced it with Red Line synthetic and did my 2nd oil change at ~18,500 miles. I caught a sample of the oil while draining and sent to Blackstone for UOA. Came back with 1.0% fuel in sample. Their limit is 2.0%. Just completed 3rd oil change a few weeks ago at ~27,000 miles and sent another sample in for UOA. Cambe back with 1.5% fuel in sample. Again, they made note but said don't panic yet. Anybody have any issues similar to this? Especially with a 2012? My 2001 4Runner has 185,000 miles and samples come back with less than 0.1% fuel in sample.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

How often does the Honda get driven for more than say a half of an hour at a time?

I noticed this phenomena a few years back with the car my wife drove to and from our local bus stop; as a test, I took it on a one-hour drive just prior to changing the oil and sending out a second sample for UOA testing. The results showed a drop from something like 2.3% to .3%, and those good results were duplicated on the next oil change.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

yup, short trips that don't get the engine oil up to full operating temps will allow it to hold "other" fluids, gas, moisture, hawaiian punch etc...when the oil reaches it's full operating temp, the PCV system will evacuate all fuel vapors that have been simmered out of the oil.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Default Fuel in Oil

I have been running the engine until reaching normal operating temperature but not driving it prior to changing the oil. Normal driving conditions are always long drives - commuter car for 41 mile commute. Next oil change I will drive it around town for a few errands before changing the oil. Hopefully this will take care of the issue. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by TXAccord2012
I caught a sample of the oil while draining and sent to Blackstone for UOA.
and sent another sample in for UOA.
Wouldn't send another oil sample to Blackstone if it were me.
You're paying them money and they're giving you concerns in return.

My current Accord has 213,000+ miles and I've never had that concern / problem.
Haven't ever sent an oil sample away to Blackstone either.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TXAccord2012
I have been running the engine until reaching normal operating temperature but not driving it prior to changing the oil. Normal driving conditions are always long drives - commuter car for 41 mile commute. Next oil change I will drive it around town for a few errands before changing the oil. Hopefully this will take care of the issue. Thanks for the feedback.
Keep in mind that the engine coolant reaches "normal operating temperature" well before the oil, and once up to temp, it take the contaminates a while to vaporize out of said oil.

Another thing to consider is that some modern engines are starting to feature "direct injection" where the gasoline is injected directly into the combustion chamber instead of upstream of the intake valve. Such engines typically exhibit a higher fuel percentage in the oil. That said, I don't know if Honda has started producing direct injection engines or not.