General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny Thumping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Default Funny Thumping Noise

I'm hearing a moderate thumping noise coming from the engine compartment when I drive on bumpy roads. It's not coming from the suspension and I don't hear it when the road is leveled evenly. When I'm at a full stop and I turn the steering wheel right or left I hear what appears to be the same noise. Can this be that my rack & pinion is going bad or could it possibly be a bad axle? Any guru's out there have any ideas what this could be?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

On what car? 72 Pinto?

First thought was bad engine mounts, but that wouldn't happen when you turn the steering without moving.

Check (just to rule out) all the suspension bushings before you condemn the steering rack or axles.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
hondaac
Unregistered

hi,
To find out if it is bad axle(s) check the rubber boots at each end on both axles.Any tear in the boot,it is time to replace.
If everything seems fine, you can do the ultimate test:go in a large and quiet parking lot and at very slow speed , yank the steering to the right to do a full circle and do the same to the left.Any ***** in both axle; you are going to hear it and determine which one(s) is bad.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM

The noise is not happening when I make turns which I've already eliminated potential bad axles. I hear the noise when I'm driving straight and in bumpy roads and as I am coming to a complete stop. I mentioned the steering wheel (left to right) theory because if I am at a complete stop and I slightly turn the wheel from left to right, I can hear what appears to be the same noise. It's not a suspension issue because I replaced the front bushings, lower ball joints, and struts two weeks ago. I'm thinking it could be the bushings from the rack & pinion. Mainly, I would like to know that if my symptom is related to my rack & pinion going bad to where I would have to replace it soon?

F.Y.I, I drive a 97 Accord EX Sedan