General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges not working 1995 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 04:07 PM
Default Gauges not working 1995 Accord

My daughter was driving her 95 Accord coupe that we built together and called today stating that the battery light came on and all the gauges quit working except the fuel gauge. We have installed a high power stero, that's been in the car for a couple years now. She was able to drive it home but once here the battery was nearly dead. The windows still work fine, once a boost pack was connected. She had lost power to the radio as well but said that the face lit up on the way home. I'm thinking we have a weak alternator and she was playing her music loud. The amps pulled the battery low and the gauges quit??? Or low voltage prevented the ECM for working properly?? I'm having the alternator tested and expecting to replace. Why would the gauges and dash warning lights all stop working? I've checked all fuses and they are good. Both in the fuse box under the hood and in the Lt kick panel. Any suggestions would be great. Hate just buying parts, of course, most everything is nearly new at this point!

Old 06-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 95accordcoupe
My daughter was driving her 95 Accord coupe that we built together and called today stating that the battery light came on and all the gauges quit working except the fuel gauge. We have installed a high power stero, that's been in the car for a couple years now. She was able to drive it home but once here the battery was nearly dead. The windows still work fine, once a boost pack was connected. She had lost power to the radio as well but said that the face lit up on the way home. I'm thinking we have a weak alternator and she was playing her music loud. The amps pulled the battery low and the gauges quit??? Or low voltage prevented the ECM for working properly?? I'm having the alternator tested and expecting to replace. Why would the gauges and dash warning lights all stop working? I've checked all fuses and they are good. Both in the fuse box under the hood and in the Lt kick panel. Any suggestions would be great. Hate just buying parts, of course, most everything is nearly new at this point!
I know when I ran my own car without the alt belt that the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It does sound like a bad or weak alt though, as she drained the battery on the ride to your place. I'd put the battery on a charger, pull the alt and have it tested.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'd charge the battery. Measure the voltage across the battery terminals before you start the car, should be 12.6 volts. Then start the car and measure the voltage. It should be in the range of 13.3 to 14 volts.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

It would also be good to measure the battery voltage while starting. If the starter's load causes the voltage to drop too low that might cause all sorts of crazy things.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It would also be good to measure the battery voltage while starting. If the starter's load causes the voltage to drop too low that might cause all sorts of crazy things.
Yup, it seems like Hondas are voltage sensitive, at least that's what I've found anyway.