General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my dash lights back on!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Default Got my dash lights back on!

Well i was finally able to trace why i didn't have dash lights. I used the Tech tip of pulling the clock out and testing at the plug. I tested the Red/ black with the plug off the clock key on and lights on. Got 12v. then plugged back in and back probed the red wire got 12v. i the made a jump wire and connected it to the red wire and put it to ground and all the dash lights came on. So according to what i read this means that the driver side multiplex is bad. Here is the question????
If i just make that test ground permanent will this have any effect on anything else in the cars electronics? I priced out a new multiplex and the want $206 for one. If just leaving this ground on does what i need I'm all for leaving it in place and not replace the multiplex.
Anybody have a idea if this will work?
This is on a 98 Accord EX4dr 4cyl

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

car-part dot com for a used one......

Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks: Poor Man. I went on the site but they don't list a multiplex control unit. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place. But I'm still wondering about using the ground wire jumper for the time being while i try and locate a used multiplex. Do you think this will work?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Personally I would leave it with the ground jumper wire.
If it works then it is fine - IMHO

When I got my Honda it had the no taillights, lic lights, dash lights, front parking lights problem (somewhat common)

I spent days trying to solve what was wrong (it would pop the small fuse as soon as the lights were turned on) seriously I spent around 20 hours tracing circuits trying to troubleshoot what was wrong.

I finally gave up and just ran some new wiring and everything thing works great. It has been like that for almost 2 years.

Is it the proper way, no
Does it work fine and cost me no money at all to fix, yes
Am I happy with it, yes

Run your ground wire, if everything else in the car works fine then you did a great job and should be proud that you fixed it for nothing.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the input. I feel the same way. I like Free.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

On car-part dot com, look under chassis control computer.