General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got sued for accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
ouneal
Unregistered
Default Got sued for accident

Hi there,
Long store short, I had a accident 14 months ago in snowy Michigan day. I hit a Grand cherokee from behind, the other party called the police and police came. I was at fault and got a ticket. nobody was injured and the damage were minor for Grand cherokee. I fired claim to my insurance company and thought I was done with it.
But today got a call from my insurance company, the other party hired a lawyer and filed sue will serve to me.
I don't know the detail about the sue yet. I am scare right now couldn't sleep well. Is anybody here have the similar experience? Can anybody give me advice what should I do and what's going to happen next.

I will have more detail of the law sue when I talk to my insurance company tomorrow, will post more detail.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Get a lawyer. If they're suing over "injuries" over a year is a bit long to sue over. Lawyer should be able to argue a good case about that point. A lot can happen in 14 months, so they can't really say you're at fault.

I can't imagine it's anything other than what your insurance company paid them for damage.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Agreed if it is over injuries they would be wasting their time this long down the road. just get yourself a lawyer and try and relax a bit. as finch said its most likely involving insurance payment. these days people are sue happy for anything. they are gonna probly have to have one convincing case either way depending on the situation, especially any injuries. I've been in accidents with other people(not me driving) and rear bumps arent usually bad unless high speed. no ones ever sued over them though. Try not to lose sleep over it.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you pay insurance each month for a reason, assuming one died you should be fine.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 AM
ouneal
Unregistered

Got a call from my insurance company this morning, the other party claim injury, but she had problem getting paid from her own insurance company. So she and her lawyer decide sue everybody (her insurance company, my insurance company and myself). I don't know the amount and claim detail yet, will find out when I receive the certified mail.

My insurance company said company will have lawyer handle this, I need a lawyer only when claim amount exceed liability limit.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Even if they sue and win you shouldn't pay anything, thats what insurance is for. But I doubt they could win 14months after a fender bender.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Still, you have to be careful about taking legal advice from us. (Even as smart as we think we are...) Those kinds of laws can be very different from one state to another.