General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings, and question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Default Greetings, and question.

Salutations, fellow Accord owners. I am new to this site, and new to Accords, so please be nice.

I recently purchased a 1984 Accord, non running, and have run into a few little problems. First of these is that the car, while it will crank, will sputter and cough for a few seconds and then die. Then upon attempting to crank it again, it will not start unless I hold the pedal to the floor, at which point it will sputter and die again.

My theories are as follows:
Something is causing the carb to flood?
The timing is so out of wack that the fuel isn't burning and the carb is flooding?

Also, some numbskull plugged the fuel return line, the one that is supposed to run back to the tank, so could that have anything to do with it? And if so, where do I plug it back into? I unplugged it, so it was just dumping, but that didn't seem to help much. If it was reconected properly, would the fuel pump draw the excess fuel back to the tank?

Sorry if this is all a bit abstract, I'm just spitballing.

Cheers, Dan

Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Also, I forgot to mention this, does anyone have a diagram, or photo of the fuel delivery system? I can't figure out where the return line is supposed to go from the carb. The Haynes manual is little help.

Dan

Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, my memory of the 2nd gen accords is bad.

First, there is no "fuel return" line on a carb'd accord....or any other carb'd car I have owned. The "float seat" handle this...the psi from the pump is only like 6~8 psi.....so the seat of the float handles cutting the fuel from getting into the bowl of the carb.

So my question is this......show me a pic of this "return fuel line" and we can go from there.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Hmm. Well. I feel dumb now.
I guess I was just used to my injected diesel, which definitely has a return line, so I assumed that the other pipe was a return line.

The first picture is of the main line, that previously had the other line "Teed" into it.
The second picture, I am pointing to what I, and the previous owner thought was the return line.

Thanks for the help

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Greetings, and question.-carb1.jpg   Greetings, and question.-carb2.jpg  

Last edited by Dreamer, Seeker; 04-30-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

That is not what I meant to do with my response.....sorry.

Can you crank the car and then look down the "throat" of the carb.....might have to work the throttle cable by hand to keep it running....while looking down the throat of the carb you should NOT see and gas - Do you?

Might PM "barnfindhonda" about the hose set up - also check under the hood for a sticker that might have the hose diagram.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had the same problem when I purchased my 1984 a couple of years ago. There is a solenoid fuel cut off switch on the drivers side of the carburetor that is probably stuck half way open. I could not find the problem, had an old school mechanic diagnosis this. He opened the solenoid all of the way and disconnected it to keep it from moving. It did the trick and I have not had any problems in 2 years and 30,000 miles later.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM

All's good.

When I crank it there's definitely gas visible in the carb.

Barnfind, I'll have to check that out, though I doubt that's it...

Dan

Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

If you a looking down the "throat" of the carb and see gas dripping down the throat then I'm with a stuck/bad float or the needle and seat for the float.

This pic is from one of my 3rd gen's showing where gas was dripping out of one of mine when the needle and seat for the float.

This link might give some help as well?

HONDA KEIHIN CARBURETOR REPAIR

Attached Thumbnails Greetings, and question.-3rd-gen-carb-throat-my-leak.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 AM

All very interesting. I'll have to check that out.
Maybe if it ever stops raining down here...

Dan

Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM

You are going to have to ask" Barnfind " about the connection in your #2 picture.
I have a 89 Accord so, no help.
You need a Honda Service Manual I looked around and couldn't find one online ( for free ) but I found one on E-Bay Motors for $ 6.99 plus $ 4.00 shipping. Buy it, you will get your money's worth.
Good luck !