General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HARD STARTING IN COLDER WEATHER

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Default HARD STARTING IN COLDER WEATHER

93 4-DR EX A/T WITH 203K.
CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE MAIN RELAY WILL CAUSE A COLD STARTING PROBLEM.
WHEN THE CAR SITS FOR 10-12 HOURS AND THE OUTSIDE AIR IS ABOUT 30-40 DEGREES (STARTS IN WARM WEATHER NO PROBLEM). THE CAR WILL TURN OVER BUT IS HARD STARTING ( FUEL STARVED ?), LIKE THE MAIN RELAY SYMPTOMS. TRIED KNOWN GOOD BATTERY NO HELP. WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY TO ON, I HEAR THE FUEL PUMP AND THEN THE ENGINE LIGHT DOES GO OUT. ONCE YOU GET THE CAR RUNNING IT STARTS EVERY TIME. I AM ALSO WORKING A CRUISE CONTROL PROBLEM SO I HAVE THE CRUISE BOX OUT AT THIS TIME AND WILL PULL THE RELAY IN THE MORNING AND CHECK IT WITH 12V. IS THERE ANY OTHER TROUBLE SHOOTING I CAN DO. THX'S.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: HARD STARTING IN COLDER WEATHER

My 90 Accord manual lists coolant temp sensor fault as most likely reason for hard starts in cold weather. Suggest checking coolant temp sensor against temp-resistance specs for your vehicle. CEL should show code 6 if sensor is shorted or open, however a working but inaccurate sensor might not set the CEL.

If the idle speed is low when you achieve cold start, the fast idle valve may not be opening to allow extra air for cold start. You can remove the fast idle valve cover and check for air flow when coolant temp is < 86F. If no flow under this temp, the fast idle valve will need to be replaced.

good luck