General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 ex 6 cyl a/t. a/c colder on pax side

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Default 2003 ex 6 cyl a/t. a/c colder on pax side

replaced the compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer and expansion valve (twice). air mix motor works properly. mix door is in proper position (same as right side). flushed hi and low line. finally gave up and took it to shop and was told to try another condenser and or evaporator. center left vent is at least 10 degrees hotter and left vent is 20 degrees hotter than center right vent. tired of throwing parts at it! any ideas?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello New Member

Thank you for joining the HAf..
I will now move this to where your now reading this at..In the Genl Tech forum..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails 2003 ex 6 cyl a/t.  a/c colder on pax side-headbang_pc.gif  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This problem can occur when refrigerant charge is low leading to upper part of the evaporator warmer than lower part. If you're sure mix doors are set correctly, then low charge seems most likely problem.

good luck

Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM

hello texashonda, thanks for the reply/help. I have been beating on this a/c for quite a while now. it could be low Freon. how high above the amount listed on the placard under the hood should you go? the first mechanic went to the amount listed, I took it as high as 24 oz. the third shop went as high as the compressor could handle. I don t know what that means.
do you know if there is a history with the 03 ex's involving the high/low lines failing internally? or the short line from the compressor to condenser?
is there a way to bench check the evaporator and/or the condenser? I m tired of buying parts.
thanks for the help texashonda.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM

A simple easy check is to feel the suction return line (large line) at the firewall w/ AC running, recirculate, max fan, and fast idle. It should be very cold and sweating (w/ some humidity!) if AC is working correctly. If warm or not very cold, then charge level is low.

If you detect indication of low charge level, it is likely that a leak is present somewhere since you say it's been fully charged.

Has the cabin air filter been replaced. A blocked filter might cause unusual symptoms.

good luck

Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM

hey texashonda, thanks again for the help. yes I have changed the cabin filter. why are they 4 times the price of an engine air filter?
the large line is sweating like a pig.
I don't think its a leak, I put a vacuum on it for an hour with my rented autozone vacuum. then I waited a 1/2 hour for it to move.
the second mechanic told me he would change the evaporator and or the condenser again for the second time. is there a way to see if they are working properly if I unhook them?
I m trying to avoid taking this thing to the dealer. which would be my third shop. I believe the dealer would charge me more than the car is worth.

thanks for the help

Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Do you have a shop manual? If not, suggest investing $22 in a download manual from automanualsource.com. This has procedure for checking for AC codes (have you checked?), diagnostics, and parts replacement procedures.

Cold and sweating suction line indicates AC system is functioning correctly. Lack of cool air must be a air mix door problem somehow; blend door diverting too much of cooled air over heater core.

My 2003-2007 manual is for 4-cyl and does not show an individual outlet adjustment feature as you describe. All air mixing occurs in the central AC/Heat unit where air mix motor diverts air for heating or blocks cool air from heater core depending on temp selection.

I would try cutting heater core control valve off and see if that results in uniformly cool air. Again shop manual is key to finding and releasing push/pull wire to allow manual shutoff.

If this results in uniformly cool air, then you likely have a problem w/ central air mix motor not working correctly instead of outlet mix motors. Speculating here.

good luck

Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM

hello texas Honda. I will look for a manual. I could not get any fault codes to display.
when I took out the evaporator I could reach the blend doors and they were both in the correct position. pulled off the air mix motor on the problem side and it ran like it should. you have a good idea with the center air mix motor. I will check that out. I haven't yet because I thought if I was getting correct temp on pax side it could not be that but I will check and if possible lock out in full cold position. thanks for the help texashonda - I ran out of places to go!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM

I looked at my Acura TSX manual which has dual outlet controls. It looks like both air mix motors are built into main heater/Evap assy to allow mixing to be accomplished. Somehow the motors must not be moving to correct positions; possible interference or other issues.

You will need a shop manual to help. You might try removing the pax side air mix motor and see if door will move manually to confirm no interference.

Is driver's side air working correctly then?

good luck