General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Haunted Horn!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 AM
Default Haunted Horn!!!

Okay, fellas. Please know that I am one to diagnose first to the best of my ability, but I have an odd problem that not even the omnipotent Google could help me out with.

Bought a used 97 Accord SE, 2.2L, AT for my son with horns not working. Saw that they were simply disconnected but within minutes found out why after reconnecting them. As I was driving down the street, the car would honk randomly and intermittently at odd times with no relation to any movement of the steering wheel or bumps in the road. I might be standing perfectly still at a light and the car would just shoot off short bursts from the horn and it happens totally random.

Bought myself a Chilton manual and the wiring diagram is very straightforward. Buttons are good, cable reel is brand new (put that in myself), and the relay works fine (swapped it with the cigarette lighter relay which is identical). Still the relay clicks away while driving every once in a while.

Two of the wiring diagrams for the horn system (there are a few in this Chilton manual which also covers the Prelude) has ONE sore thumb sticking out at me. It says that either a multiplex unit or a security system has one wire tapping into the solitary horn wire prior to the relay...and lo and behold that my keyfob remotes lose their programming every few days or sooner. In other words, after I program the remotes so that they lock and unlock the doors, they suddenly lose the programming. To top that off, the driver side door lock cylinder is acting funny in that, sometimes, it will set the alarm off and I have to unlock by the passenger key lock to stop the alarm.

Anyway, this leads me to think that this damn door lock security control unit is shot. This thing is under the passenger seat and for certain is the security system box, as I popped the thing open and saw the antenna and, as an added surprise, my car would not start after I tampered with it (by removing the ground bolt, I presume).

If I am on the right track, should I pop for a new unit (if I can even find one) at $170 or is there someone out there with the expertise to 1.) let me know if I am on the right track first of all; 2.) provide me with some alternative to replacing the unit if that is what's wrong; or, 3.) point me in some other direction? The part number that I suspect is 38380-SY1-X02, CONTROL UNIT, AUTO DOOR LOCK (SECURITY).

Fellas, I really appreciate any help you all can bestow upon a wannabe DIY'er. I need my kid to have a horny car so that he can honk at the crazies on the road. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

could be a bad steering wheel switch. according to the diagram, the right horn (passenger side) is for the security system. you could disconnect that one only and if it fixes it you know you have a bad anti-theft module, if not i'm leaning toward a horn switch.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are on the right track, wiring isnt my forte or I would offer some help.

I will say you had me laughing with its random honks.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 AM

Doc, I thought the one relay controls both horns... Is that not the case? But I sure will try that!!! On the 97 Accord, one horn is in front of the radiator, the other against the driver side fenderwell wall (facing the drive belts).

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

ok, i see you have the SE model. the horn on the fender well (drivers side) is the security horn. according to that diagram it looks like the security system doesn't care which horn it uses...worth a shot though. but now i'm leaning toward the control unit for the anti-theft.