General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Aftermarket Condenser Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
qwertypoi
Unregistered
Default Have Aftermarket Condenser Recommendations?

Replacing the A/C condenser on my '04 Accord (due to road debris from bad design/lack of lower grille).

Anyone have recommendations/experience re. a good replacement?

At carpartswholesale.com, the cheapest condensers are made by American Condenser at $138 while the "premium" condenser from Silla is $185.

I'm willing to pay more for a quality product as I always felt that the Accord's A/C was weak even when new.

Thanks/Cheers.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Have Aftermarket Condenser Recommendations?

I would use car-part.com and get a used condensor. That way no issues w/ fitup. If you want a larger condensor, suggest checking w/ ackits.com. They have a variety of products available for customizing systems. Connections and mounting can be challenging.

Accord AC is pretty good when charged correctly. My 94EX still puts out 40F air after a few mins of cooling. It works for me here in Houston where AC is used year round.

good luck

Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 AM

40F air after a few minutes? Texas honda thats amazing. My 03 accord will take 10 minutes to start feeling good and I doubt its 40F air. Where is that temp measured at? If its at the cabin vent exit then I dont think my car is close. Does my car need a recharge? If so is that something I can do myself (am handy but new to automotive)?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If car interior air is 120, you can't get 40F w/ any car. When car interior reaches about 80-85F, you should be able get some air in the 40-45F range from vents. A pull-down temp between air entering evaporator and air from vents of 35-45 is typical. Less, when entry temp is really high and increases as temp reduces. I stick a cheap thermometer in the vents, and usually notice 40F or therabouts by the time I get on freeway from my office. Note, my car is parked in a garage so interior probably starts around 85-90F. If parked in direct sun, it will take longer than 10mins to get "comfortable".

Buy a $6 themometer from autoparts store and measure your vent temps. Then you'll know. If you are getting air >50F under best circumstances, I think something's wrong w/ your system; possible heating of cooled air by heat blend door, improper charge, restriction in system, faulty expansion valve, et cetera.

Some people require 72F in their homes and offices to be comfortable. Growing up (for the most part) w/o AC, I find that 78-80F is fine for me. My wife and I differ on this, and she continually reduces home thermostat, however she is cooking frequently and it is warmer in kitchen.

good luck