General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Problem Programing Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Default Have Problem Programing Keyless Entry

Yesterday we had the drivers side window switch and the motor replaced on my wifes 2005 Accord at the Honda Dealer. When they were done we went out to pick up the car and discovered that the key would not unlock the doors or trunk anymore, the service manager took the keys and jump in the drivers seat and with in 30 seconds had them working again, he then told us that the other set of keys (Which were at home 105 Away) might not work and we would need to come back so he could program them again. Sure enough when we got home I tried them and Nada, so I did some web searching and found a couple sites that explained how to program Honda Accord Keys, so I followed the instructions by turning the key to the #2 position then pressed the lock or unlock button, I did it the correct number of times and sure enough they worked, the only thing is, Now the keys that the Honda service Tech programed won't work anymore. Apparently every time you program a set of keys this way it installs a new code which renders the other set of keys useless. Can someone tell me if there is some way to get both sets of keys in Sync with the same code, or will I need to go to a Honda dealer to have them both done?.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the procedure I've used on 1998 & 2003. Notice step 13 - that should include ALL transmitters, even the ones that are already "programmed".

1) Unlock Doors
2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II)
3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I)
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position
6) Press lock or unlock
7) Turn key to off position
8) on position
9) lock or unlock
10) off position
11) on position
12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13:
13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program

*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12.