General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Chime - Intermit / Inop <--- FIXED! Thanks HondaDude!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Default Headlight Chime - Intermit / Inop <--- FIXED! Thanks HondaDude!

I have a newly acquired '92 Accord, so I imagine I'll be getting to know you guys pretty soon.

I've heard the headlight chime once or twice, so I know it works sometimes. However, at the moment it isn't working.

I've been doing quite a bit of work on the doors (new driver's side interior handle, speakers, lube, etc.), but I doubt that has anything to do with the chime.

I read on here there is a key sensor for the ignition, and maybe that's causing it. I had new keys made, and I think it may have been chiming with one of the new keys. The new keys are junk, they indexed the machine wrong and the keys barely work. I'm going to have them try again.

Also, the indicators in the Instrument Panel don't show when any of the doors are open. Is there a Body Control Module or something like that somewhere I should be checking. The courtesy lights don't work either, fuse is good, bulb is good. This might also have something to do with the headlight chime if it never knows the door was opened.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help! I've only had my Accord since Friday, so I'm not too familiar with it.

Jim in Colorado

Old 05-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Headlight Chime - Intermit / Inop

It's well worth a couple extra bucks to have the keys made at the dealer.
I could tell ya 100 horror stories about hardware store keys. LOL
There is a "slider" switch in the doorpillar post that grounds the interior light, they get a little corrosion on them and the lights don't work; phillips head screw holds them in, just push the slider to find it. Clean up the contacts
Start with the simple stuff first

Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 PM

Yeah, it was simple, as you suggested...

I was trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Turns out, the switch was bad/intermit.

I thought it was a lot worse since there are other things (still) that weren't working. Like the power mirrors, dome light, and passenger door lock. I was thinking bad ground somewhere.

I had a chance to look at it tonight, and was trying to figure it out. I went on to other things like checking other lights. I tested the backup lights and one was out. I opened the trunk and noticed the trunk light worked. Then I noticed the "trunk open" indicator was on in the dash! I started opening other doors and they also turned on their associated indicator! And their courtesy lights worked too! The dome light never came on, sigh...

I wiggled the switch for the driver's door, and it's indicator and courtesy light came on too! Then, I turned on the headlights and heard that chime I'd been missing! I'll be cleaning the contacts on that switch when I have daylight to work with again. Thanks HondaDude!!!

Now, I can't figure out why the silly dome light doesn't work yet. I have no power to the bulb, which should be hot all the time, and the switch pulls one side to ground. I have power at the fuse (#22) under the hood. I'll probably pull the dome light assembly out of the roof to see what might be defuggered there. Maybe the switch is simply bad up there too. I assume it hasn't worked for a while as when I was cleaning out the car after I bought it I found a map light that plugs into the ciggy lighter.

Jim

Old 05-25-2007, 11:06 AM

that's also typically a simple issue.... it can be as easy as the contacts in the switch being corroded.... drop the dome light and see if you have power to the switch, if you do, you can take it apart and clean it with either some cleaners or a pencil eraser actually works quite well, bend it a little to make sure that it keeps good contact and re-assemble it...